Decisions decisions......

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexxn, Jun 10, 2011.

  1. alexxn macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 14, 2009
    Location:
    S. Fla
    #1
    Looking to replace my MBP in my sig, so here's where I'm at, my 3 choices -

    #1 - a mid 2009 15" 2.8Ghz C2D, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD, mint condition, Applecare til Jan 2013 - $950

    #2 - 2010 15" 2.67Ghz i7, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, 3 years of Applecare, he's asking $1350, I MAY be able to get him down a little.

    #3 - refurb from Apple - 2010 15" 2.4Ghz i5, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD - $1269

    I can probably get $600 or EASILY $500 quick for my existing.

    Thoughts ???
     
  2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    #2
    #2.

    I'd stay away from a Core 2 Duo given other options.
     
  3. sunnyj macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Location:
    Vancouver, British Columbia
  4. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

    cloroxbleach4

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2007
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #4
    +1. Try not to get a C2D if possible.
     
  5. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #5
    while they are still pretty fast processors, the 2010 models used arrandales which are still dual core i7's, not quad cores like those found in the 2011 sandy bridge models. just something to note.

    that said, I'd see if you can get #2 it's certainly the best deal at that price especially if it has apple care, if not #3 is the next best deal. I'd stay away from #1 as others have said. At that price you'd be better off getting a 2011 13" imo.
     
  6. alexxn thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 14, 2009
    Location:
    S. Fla
    #6
    Yeah I definitely need a 15", it's gonna cost me $1400 with the gas for #2 so we'll see....
     
  7. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #7
    yeah but that's only $131 more than option #3 and it will have a better processor, bigger hard drive, and it has 3 years of apple care.

    As long as the laptop is in good shape, it's your best bet of the 3 options listed, plus maybe you can get him to take a little off the price for the drive and maybe get it for only $100 more than #3. If money is tight though, option #3 is still a great computer, just not quite as good of a deal as #2(assuming it's in good shape)
     
  8. alexxn thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 14, 2009
    Location:
    S. Fla
    #8
    All good points, he definitely won't go down any lower from $1400 and as it is I'm waiting for a person who called before me to see if they buy it fist so I may lose out after all :(
     
  9. kppolich macrumors 6502

    kppolich

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    Iowa
  10. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

    yusukeaoki

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2011
    Location:
    Tokyo, Japan
  11. Naimfan macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    #11
    First: What happened to the $1350 you listed as the price of #2?

    Second: Apple will charge you sales tax on a refurb, so the cost for #3 is understated unless you can have it shipped somewhere where there is no sales tax.
     
  12. alexxn thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 14, 2009
    Location:
    S. Fla
    #12
    I made a mistake when I was copying the info from his ad...it was originally $1450
     
  13. Naimfan macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    #13
    Ah. Well, at $1400 even I'd still get #2 if you can. Sales tax on the refurb is likely to jump you up to around $1400, and with the extended Applecare on #2 it's a MUCH better deal.
     
  14. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2011
    Location:
    Canada
    #14
    I'd go with the option #2 as it's the best bang for your buck in my opinion; if that doesn't work out then pick up the refurbished 2010 15-inch MacBook Pro (option #3).

    Best of luck! :)
     
  15. DustinT macrumors 68000

    DustinT

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2011
    #15
    Man, you are so close in price to a new one I'd just save up a little more money and get one of those. You'll be much happier with it in the long run.
     
  16. alexxn thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 14, 2009
    Location:
    S. Fla
    #16
    I just scored a 2011 Base 15", i7 Quad, 2 months old, in the box, immaculate and wiped clean for $1200 -

    No Applecare but I have almost a year to get it :D
     

Share This Page