Decisions, Decisions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ugadawgs311, Oct 18, 2012.

1. ugadawgs311 macrumors member

Last week I jumped on a deal I found online for a 2012 MBP (2.5 i5). Shipping was surprisingly quick and the computer came in yesterday. However, I'm now reluctant to open it after hearing of Apple's "even" being held on 10/23. With the possibility of a new Mini being introduced, I may hold out for that and save myself $400.

I have a 2008 MB now, and I mainly use that as a desktop (i.e. I have it hooked up to an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse). So, a Mini seems to make more sense (especially considering the $$ saved).

The only things I lose with the Mini (from what I can tell) are: 1) portability, 2) a CD/DVD drive, and 3) a FaceTime camera (my external monitor does not have one).

I think I can survive without those things. But it is nice to have a laptop when on vacation and what not...

Anyone else considering these new Minis? Is the current MBP still a great buy? I guess we'll have to wait until 10/23 to see what is really announced.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd keep the MBP, you got a pretty good price on it and the portability is very useful(as you've stated).

3. ugadawgs311 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah portability is nice. Although, I really haven't needed portability much in the past couple of years. I have an iPad, so I mainly use that for any email or web-browsing while I'm away from home. Also, I have a laptop for work, and I will still have my 2008 MB if I really need a computer with me.

But, in the event that I do need portability, it would be nice to have all my data and the newest software (my 2008 MB no longer receives updates) contained in one device.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I actually had an iPad up until a few months ago. I found that I didn't take it anywhere that I couldn't/wouldn't take my MBP. That being said, I do already have a desktop computer here, it's a PC that my wife and I use mostly for gaming. I find that I use my laptop while I'm sitting at the couch more. But if that isn't how you use your MB, maybe a Mini would be a better system for you.

5. ugadawgs311 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, just thinking about how I've used my 2008 MB over the years, while I was in school I took it everywhere. Since graduating though, I really only use it at home on my desk. If I want to look something up while I'm on the couch or not in my room, I'll just use my iPad. So maybe a Mini does make more sense.

Do you think we can expect to see the same specs of the current MPB on the new minis? Or will they include new hardware (i.e. SSD drive, maybe more than 4GB ram, etc.)?