Decisions decisions!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by capoditutti, Jun 25, 2007.

1. capoditutti macrumors 6502

capoditutti

Have: 2.33 C2D MBPro, 3G iPod 40GB, iPod Mini 4Gb

Am getting: 20" ACD

and either

12" PB G4 or 12" iBook G4

I would like a machine for web browsing, internet audio streaming etc with desirable features in the following order:

1. Made by Apple (duh!)
    2. Good battery (at least 4 hrs wireless browsing)
    3. Good Airport/Airport Extreme performance
    4. 12" screen

Do i go for a good 12" G4 iBook or a good 12" G4 Powerbook? Reasons also please...

cApO

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the iBooks tended to get better wireless reception and better battery life than the Powerbooks. fwiw.

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

depends on the price, but i honestly doubt you're going to hit 4 hours with either machine, maybe with a new battery, but those aren't cheap.

and again, depending on the price (and maybe including a battery) you might just want to go for a cheapo refurb/used MacBook instead.

4. capoditutti thread starter macrumors 6502

capoditutti

I've looked at the MacBook option and even handled one, but i feel they're too close to the size and weight of the MacBook Pro, and that defeats the purpose. I'd buy an ultrasmall ultralight anything from Apple if they launched one today!

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

You know, I've had a few iBooks and now a MacBook...the MB is thinner and weighs almost the same..

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

great distinction to be made there, janey.

the ibooks were bigger in thickness than the powerbooks, and about the same weight. the macbooks are thinner, and they do have great battery life.

there certainly is a big difference in size though between a 13" Macbook and a 15" MacbookPro imo though.

7. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Hey CapO,

I have a 12" iBook that I got in September/October 2005. I love it. I have 2 batteries, and it's in perfect condition. Not sure if I am meant to offer it for sale on here or not but it's here with all of the original packaging etc. Let me know if you like and we can talk...

8. Jessy macrumors regular

The iBook and Powerbook are not smaller than the MacBook. 13.3 inches sounds bigger than 12, but you must remember that the area is not as much greater as you may think due to different aspect ratios.

The screen dimensions of the iBook / Powerbook are (in inches and sq. in.):

9.6 x 7.2 = 69.12

The screen dimensions of the MacBook are:

11.28 x 7.05= 79.49

If the MacBook had a 4:3 aspect ratio, which it does not, its dimensions would be:

10.64 x 7.98 = 84.91

I might venture as far as to say that you would be insane to pay for one of those old Macs at this point.

As for battery life, you're not going to get that. My brand-new iBook G4 never got 3 hours of life for anything, and it was a lot fatter than the current notebooks. The PowerBook is slimmer, but then again, it's garbage compared to any MacBook, at least for what you want to use it for.

9. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

i just got rid of my 12" ibook for a c2d mb. the ibook was great, and i took it everywhere. i would have recommended it to anyone.....

until i got my macbook. :D

go with the macbook. unless you can get an uber deal on the ibook.

10. wongulous macrumors 6502a

I love the 12" PB G4. Smaller, more powerful, more refined, and (for me) more durable. Doesn't show dirt/scratches/age as much. I miss mine and wish Apple would make something comparable again. The MacBook just feels so Fisher-Price in comparison to my old 12" PB.

11. capoditutti thread starter macrumors 6502

capoditutti

What's the weight difference between the three?

12. Igantius macrumors 65816

I suspect that I'm not the only who wouldn't be able to answer that off the top of my head - but have a look at www.apple-history.com/

13. capoditutti thread starter macrumors 6502

capoditutti

MacBook - 5.1lbs

iBook G4 - 4.9lbs

PowerBook G4 - 4.6lbs

mmmmm.. Assuming i get a new battery for it, a PowerBook G4 is beginning to look tempting...

14. Jessy macrumors regular

It looks like my last post was taken down.

I was saying that you should try my bread. It contains a lot of wheat gluten, and combined with Lysine pills, provides a complete amino acid profile for humans. I've been using this method all year, and feel pretty strong. If half a pound is making so much of a difference that you must buy an inferior, more overpriced computer, I recommend that you ask me for the recipe.

15. capoditutti thread starter macrumors 6502

capoditutti

Hehe.. what's wrong with wanting one of the Apple classics? I've already got a current-gen machine, i could get the MacBook if i wanted to but i'm looking for a nice small quiet Mac to use for very non-intensive tasks. The MacBook is overkill if all i want is a mac that can do what i mentioned at the beginning..

16. janey macrumors 603

janey

because for a minimal price difference you can get a machine that will perform better in every way. Including the airport and the battery life.

17. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

get a pismo :p hehe... now THAT"S a classic mac that can still perform :)