Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CajunCARTFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
I'm fixing to order an iMac and can't decide wich CPU to get, the 2.8 or the 2.4. I'm going to be using it for web browsing, office tasks, iTunes and iPod, and some iPhoto. Of course I'm going to get the 24". I will probably install Win XP because I have some older games I still like to play and some newer RTS's, like Grand Prix Legends, GTR2, GT Legends, Company of Heroes, etc. I am going to get 4gb RAM elsewhere. Any opinions?

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
I'm fixing to order an iMac and can't decide wich CPU to get, the 2.8 or the 2.4. I'm going to be using it for web browsing, office tasks, iTunes and iPod, and some iPhoto. Of course I'm going to get the 24". I will probably install Win XP because I have some older games I still like to play and some newer RTS's, like Grand Prix Legends, GTR2, GT Legends, Company of Heroes, etc. I am going to get 4gb RAM elsewhere. Any opinions?

The 2.8 offers minimal speed increase for the several hundred dollar price tag...

I see no reason why you would need it. The 2.4 will be plenty fast!

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
For the majority of tasks you probably won't be able to tell the difference between the 2.4 and the 2.8 .. :)

Don't waste your money.

CajunCARTFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
I was just thinking. I have an old PC with 2 x WD 74GB Raptors 10,000 RPM and a 500GB storage drive. Would getting a Mac Pro and adding these hard drives to it and getting the ATI video card be a smarter thing to do than just buying the new iMac. I know the Mac Pro is upgradeable. I would get the default config. and 2 superdrives and wireless and bluetooth, then add these drives to it. Install OSX on one of the Raptors, XP on another, then music, photos and files on the 250GB and 500GB drives. Get the extra memory aftermarket. Any thoughts between doing this or go with the iMac like I originally planned?

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
I was just thinking. I have an old PC with 2 x WD 74GB Raptors 10,000 RPM and a 500GB storage drive. Would getting a Mac Pro and adding these hard drives to it and getting the ATI video card be a smarter thing to do than just buying the new iMac. I know the Mac Pro is upgradeable. I would get the default config. and 2 superdrives and wireless and bluetooth, then add these drives to it. Install OSX on one of the Raptors, XP on another, then music, photos and files on the 250GB and 500GB drives. Get the extra memory aftermarket. Any thoughts between doing this or go with the iMac like I originally planned?

And if you pick up a refurb of the MacPro, you'd save even more. The MacPro gives you lot's of flexibility of course. I like your idea of giving each OS it's own drive. And those raptors would rock! You can get the refurb dual 2.0 for less than the 2.8 iMac. Looks like the refurb dual 2.6 would be the same price. Of course, the RAM for the MacPro is going to cost you more than the iMac. I'd love a MacPro myself.... :D

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
MacPro's are great, but for surfing the internet and doing office stuff, it's like buying a ferrari to go the the grocery store. Yeah the options for adding storage is great. Do you have a monitor? That will cost extra if you don't. The iMacs are pleanty capable.

CajunCARTFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Well I do have some PC games that I like to play like the Total War Series, Company of Heroes and Supreme Commander. I would like to be able to play there expansion packs that are coming out and the new World in Conflict that is coming out also. I do like to play some racing games also, like GTR2, GT Legends and Grand Prix Legends. I just would like to be able to play these games on the XP side on medium settings if I can. My other gaming I do on my 360.

CajunCARTFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Hmm....should I get the 20" or the 24". Can anyone give me their thoughts on there iMac they have? Do they regret getting the 20" or the 24"?

imacfreak85

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2007
You can never have a big enough screen. And the worst part is once you go big, you dont go back. I've been getting progressively bigger screens, currently up to a 24". Anything less looks tiny.

CajunCARTFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Ok, I'm going to order the top of the line 2.8 iMac. I know that it is probably overkill, but I was told to get what I want now because it will be awhile before I can get another computer. My only dilemma now is figuring out if I should get the 500GB, 750GB or the 1TB. I have about 500 CD's that I will rip to my hard drive over time and I want to be able to have the storage. Any opinions on this? Other than that, I am going to get 4GB RAM aftermarket when I order. Thanks!

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I know that it is probably overkill, but I was told to get what I want now because it will be awhile before I can get another computer.

Not to throw another wrench in your cogs, but if it's going to be a while before you get another computer then I would go with the Mac Pro. You're obviously a gamer, and with the Mac Pro you can easily upgrade your video card when the next one comes out.

The iMac is a sexy machine, but I think you might be suited better with the Mac Pro.

Either way, congrats! :D

Oh, and there have been some nasty things said about the LCD used in the 20" iMacs, so if you do end up going that route, get the 24"

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Not to throw another wrench in your cogs, but if it's going to be a while before you get another computer then I would go with the Mac Pro. You're obviously a gamer, and with the Mac Pro you can easily upgrade your video card when the next one comes out.

The iMac is a sexy machine, but I think you might be suited better with the Mac Pro.
"

True, but then the price goes up, alot, unless he already has a nice screen.

But if you plan to game, and having this computer for a while, Mac Pro is your bet

CajunCARTFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
True I do like to play games, but the majority of my gaming is done on my Xbox360. Really the only "PC Games" I like to play are RTS and racing games. Grand Prix Legends is a 7 or 8 year old game so anything can run it easily. GTR2 and GT Legends were made last year. I looked at the Mac Pros and I like them and I have some hard drives to put in it but I also would have to buy a monitor with it. I just don't think that I would use it for what its meant for. Like I said, the majority of my gaming is done on the 360 not windows. I had a Windows gaming PC for a while and I hardly used compared to my old iBook G3 and now my MBP. The majority of my time on a computer is doing things like listening and ripping music to iTunes, checking my email, web browsing, importing and printing my pictures, and balancing my checkbook. The "gaming" would be the last thing to do on the priority list.

CajunCARTFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Does anyone have any experience with Refurbished Mac Pros and Apple Cinema Displays? I've been looking at the refurbs and new Mac Pros since some people here have said to take a look at them. There are some nice refurb systems on the site that have better equipment cheaper or at the same price of the base config of the Mac Pro new. Also, how would I add bluetooth and airport wireless to a refurb.?

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
If you're not concerned about future games not running very well, then definitely go with the iMac.

You don't seem like the type of guy that would be happy with a 19" lcd and a mac pro, so you would have to spend another $500 or more on a nice lcd panel.

Go for the iMac. :)

CajunCARTFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
If you're not concerned about future games not running very well, then definitely go with the iMac.

You don't seem like the type of guy that would be happy with a 19" lcd and a mac pro, so you would have to spend another $500 or more on a nice lcd panel.

Go for the iMac. :)

I would still like to play new RTS's as they come out, like the new Company of Heroes and World in COnflict. I have been looking at the refurb site and they have a nicely spec'd Mac Pro 3.0GHZ loaded at the same price you would pay for a base config. 2.66GHZ Mac Pro. It is very tempting as I have some hard drives already that I can install in it to give more space. I don't have a LCD and was also looking at the refurb. Apple Cinema Dispalys. Has anyone ordered refurbished equipment from Apple and if so, are they any good especially the Apple Cinema Dispaly? This just keeps getting more complicated by the day for me. I know that if I want to keep this machine for a while, the Mac Pro is the better deal because of the upgradability of it.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Has anyone ordered refurbished equipment from Apple and if so, are they any good especially the Apple Cinema Dispaly?

I've never ordered anything from the refurbished store, but I know plenty of people personally who have, and they all have nothing but good things to say about the products.

The products are under warranty, and you can always purchase Apple Care on top of that.

CajunCARTFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Down to the final 2

Ok, I have narrowed it down to 2 choices:

Imac 2.8
1TB hard drive
4GB RAM upgraded aftermarket
24" Screen
Airport Extreme & Bluetooth

Refurb Mac Pro & Refurb 23" ACD
Refurbished Mac Pro Quad 3.0GHz Intel Xeon
Two 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors
2GB (4 x 512MB) memory (667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive
Two 16x SuperDrives (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Radeon X1900 XT graphics with 512MB memory

I don't know if the Refurb Mac Pro has Bluetooth and Airport Extreme. I would like to have that also if possible. Can that be added after purchase? Also, I am going to add more aftermarket RAM to the Mac Pro and I also have 2 x 74gb Raptors and a 500gb hard drive I can add to it. What would you do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.