decisions decisions

Discussion in 'iPod' started by atad6, Dec 2, 2007.

1. atad6 macrumors regular

so i have a bit of a dilemma, at the moment I have three mp3 three players, each with different strengths, and i'd like to consolidate down to two. I have a 2nd generation shuffle, a hacked 8gb mini with flash and a 30gb cowon a2 pmp that does just about everything, it's just huge. I was looking at replacing the cowon and the mini with something that is small and plays music and video. Space isn't much of an issue because of smart playlists and such.

I like the 160gb iPod classic because it can hold so much, seems more durable since the outside isn't completely covered with a glass screen and i like the feedback the clickwheel gives as opposed to just using a touch screen.

on the other hand, the ipod touch is nice since it's more of an extension of my mac. it can get on the internet, hold my contacts, play videos native in widescreen and has coverflow that works smoothly. I wish they had a touch with a 160gb hard drive, but i feel as though if i wait it'll never come out.

i was just wondering if anyone else has had to decide between the classic and the touch or has experience with both. perhaps if i can't decide then i shouldn't be buying, but then again perhaps both just have equal strengths and weaknesses.

2. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

I was deciding between the classic and the touch couple weeks ago also. I was usually the smaller iPod type (I had a 6gb mini and 8gb nano) but the new nano's capacity is too small for me. In the end, I went with iPod touch because it does so much more than the classic. Video and photo looks incredible and the multi-touch interface is just amazing to use. In a way, it's easier to operate than the clickwheel. For example, when you're looking around for music, you can tap the "now playing" button on screen and it'll take you back to the music you were playing, instead of you going back and find it or wait for 5 seconds for the screen to change. It's convenient when you found the song that you want but still want to go back to the now playing screen. It's just little things like that that convinced me to get the touch. Compared to the touch, the classic's interface seems "clunky" to me and the ones I played with seems to have a slower response time than the touch.
    However, if your main/sole use for the iPod is to listen music, than the classic might be a better choice. Changing songs without looking and better battery life are the major advantages of the classic to me.
    Overall though, I have no regrets getting the touch. It takes a little time to adjust to the new interface, but it's an amazing little device. I love being able to surf the net while I'm lying in bed without moving my whole laptop. Now when I go to airports I no longer have to turn on my macbook to check my email. So if you want something more than just a music player, I would suggest the iPod touch :D.