Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyycavo24

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Hello All,

I am in process of buying a Macbook Pro, but after looking at all of the information in these threads, I am wondering how I can get the best bang for my buck...

I currently have a Dell XPS laptop and it runs fine. 1.8Mhz, 512MB of RAM....seems to have a hard time handling some of the latest games, but I haven't done a ton of gaming since Warcraft III....

Now I have always been attracted to Macs since I was in school when I did some light video editing...its something that I want to get back into now a little more extensively. I was considering buying the MPB 2.2 GHz, 2GB of RAM (would upgrade to 4GB after I bought it), with the NVIDIA 128MB graphics card (do I need the 256MB card?)

I guess what I'm driving at is whether or not the MPB with these specs would be able to handle my video editing and dvd making as I get more into it. I like the portability that comes with having two laptops, but don't want to sink 2K+ into something that won't be able to handle the video editing I'm doing a year from now.

I have a 19 in external monitor to hook my MPB up to for a larger screen and I intend to maybe buy a game or two here and there...mostly Warcraft type games...

Help!

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
If you are going to be creating a lot of video, get a Mac Pro.

I agree... the Mac Pro would be better for you in the long run. You already have a laptop for when you need the portability. Get the Mac Pro and hook your monitor up to it.

On a side note, I would definitely wait until MacWorld 2008 (January 15th) before buying either.

nyycavo24

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
OK....so I had a chance to look at some different things and speak to the Mrs (Always a requirement)...

She thinks would prefer we get the laptop for portability and we can hook it up to the external monitor whenever we are stationary.

So I guess the final question I have is:

If purchase the 2.2 Ghz MBP with the 256MB Video card and upgrade the RAM to 4GB with whatever we can get off Crucial/Newegg..

Will this provide me with enough resources to do light gaming and video editing for at least a few years?

Thanks for the help everyone...I am new to the Mac World.

PS - Themoon...what is Macworld 2008 and what is the advantage of waiting until then to buy this?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
OK....so I had a chance to look at some different things and speak to the Mrs (Always a requirement)...

She thinks would prefer we get the laptop for portability and we can hook it up to the external monitor whenever we are stationary.

So I guess the final question I have is:

If purchase the 2.2 Ghz MBP with the 256MB Video card and upgrade the RAM to 4GB with whatever we can get off Crucial/Newegg..

Will this provide me with enough resources to do light gaming and video editing for at least a few years?

Thanks for the help everyone...I am new to the Mac World.

PS - Themoon...what is Macworld 2008 and what is the advantage of waiting until then to buy this?
If you haven't already, you might try a visit to an Apple Store to play around with the offerings. In your case probably the MBP and MP.

Sometimes seeing them in person can help you make the best decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.