Decisions, Decisions...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Twilight Elk, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Twilight Elk macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

Hey everyone. I'm fairly new to the forums, though I have posted a few times.

Let me first come out and say I am a 6-year Windows user wanting to transition to Macintosh. I have been with Microsoft products for the longest time, but now it seems boring for me to use and my computers (running Windows) aren't as reliable as they used to be.

That being said, I want to begin using an Apple computer, and it just so happens I will be going to college soon (hopefully August). I want a laptop to use for school, and I was aiming for a MacBook Pro. I wonder, however, if a MBP will be a little too much for me, especially since this will be my first Mac, so I was considering a MacBook (the "BlackBook" is the model being considered).

What will I be doing for college? Hopefully a lot of music composing, a lot of writing (for essays and stories), and maybe a little video editing.

If I get a MacBook Pro, I would just get the Apple Care package, but if I customize my 'BlackBook' from 1Gb to 2Gb + Warranty, would it matter still which one I would get?

A reminder that I won't be buying one until summer of this year, and I am aware of the possible upgrades that may arrive for either notebook.

With all this taken into consideration, what should I deal with? Any other questions as to what I could be doing with the laptop?

I hope to hear good suggestions from these wonderful people :)

-Elk

--p.s. The MacBook Air is out of the question...--

2. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

The macbook should be just fine for you. You won't need the macbook pro... unless you want it. If you are considering the blackbook you are closer to a macbook pro price though refurb... so if you want the bigger screen estate (... composing music and having extra windows and tracks might be better on a bigger screen... but then again, at school it's really nice just to spend money and get an external monitor for work in your dorm. You can get a 19inch for like 130 bucks now which would be swell.

Anyway. You don't need the macbook pro, but no one will say don't get it if you really like it.

So here are my suggestions to you:

-DON'T upgrade ram through apple. Just buy it from newegg and pop it in yourself. Save tons.

-if you or your parents buy with a credit card, check to see what their policy is. My citibank student card automatically doubles the original warranty on things, making my warranty already 2 years ... so I don't bother buying applecare. If you buy applecare though, check out getting it on ebay... yu can save a good 100 or so that way.

-play with whatever laptop you plan to get for a while in person if you can, a friend or at the store... see what you like the best, and the feel for it you have.

-look into an external monitor whatever you get, but more so with the blackbook - you will appreciate it for composition and your little editing. More space the better for home use and it's cheap.

-get a good back for your laptop and perhaps a sleeve to protect it from bumps and bruises. A must have for a student going back and forth

-enjoy!!! also... look into your university school before you buy it. Mine has a really great computer order center and they have even more discounts then the normal student store through apple does. I'm getting a brand new blackbook 2.2 sr current gen through them for only 1149 as compared to 1399! Talk about a deal!

3. Twilight Elk thread starter macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

1. When I decided to enter the Mac generation, I was considering the MBP, but then I was wondering if I should start small like a MacBook. It will probably be my choice in general.

2. I have no experience with the inside of the computer, so installing my own RAM could prove tricky, not only that, but wouldn't it also void any warranty I get?

3. I forgot to mention I will also want to be playing some MMO's with this computer. Examples include World of Warcraft (despite me never playing, but the possibility is there.)

4. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

ram is user upgradable so no. this will not void any warranty.

Installing ram on a macbook or macbook pro is a 2 minute process that requires taking the battery out and unscrewing 3 screws. Definitely worth it to save a hundred bucks or more.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303491

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303721

Ram through apple is a complete waste of money.

I've heard WOW and such play just fine and dandy on a regular macbook - but someone else can talk to you about that if need be.

If you have money, a macbook pro is great. I have one and I love it :) (I am temporarily downgrading to a regular macbook though to save some money and just for the fun of it until I need the graphics card/rendering power for my job when i graduate) but a macbook should be more then you need.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It really doesn't matter whether or not you start "small" (I really don't know what you mean by that) or not. The macbook is a great machine, and the macbook pro is great too. It all depends on your budget and personal preference (in that order ;)).

Personally, I went with a mbp and I'm glad I did. I feel that I got a better machine (LED backlit screen and aluminum FTW! :D) because the mbp has a lot of "little" improvements over the regular macbook. Compare both in person and you'll see what I mean. :)
    It is extremely simple (just follow the steps provided to you by the poster above) and you'll be fine. Apple charges way too much for RAM. In either case, there is a chance that one or both lines might see more included RAM before you buy, so think this one over.
    Gaming is a lot better on the pro, but you indicated that you don't really play. Trust me, once you head off to college, you won't have the time to play games (or you shouldn't, since there are a dozen other fun things to do!). If you're not an avid gamer now, don't expect to become one in college.

6. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

This is one of those hard decisions. I have posted about this, and am still skeptical between a MB and MBP. I am leaning toward the MBP since I do already have enough for it, and an added plus is better casing, upped graphics, and larger screen + better resolution, at the same time, doing lots of music production like you and some video editing here and there. You would always want to be open for any potential out there, like video editing and production, etc. You may never know.

Wait for a MBP update and install your own RAM if you want to upgrade. I know budgets are difficult at times before college to do so, but it's well worth it.

If you go Pro, I bet you'd love it. Go Mac, and you'll never go back! XD

Good luck on making your decision.

7. Twilight Elk thread starter macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

Everybody, thank you very much for the information given. It will benefit greatly when I get a Mac this summer :)

I will attempt to go for the Pro, but if it isn't possible, then a MacBook should suit me well also :D

Once again, Thank You :)
    -Elk