Decisions Decisions!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lukekarts, Mar 16, 2009.

1. lukekarts macrumors regular

Hi... firstly I'm new to this site, I have done some research but I could still do with some advice from you, hence the post...

I'm contemplating buying a Macbook (Alu Base Model), but need a steer as to whether it is the right decision. I have always had Windows based PCs/Laptops, my most recent being a Dell XPS Laptop (basically a desktop replacement) which has a 2Ghz Core 2 Duo and an Nvidia 7950GTX which I will continue to use for gaming...

Essentially I'm looking at a Mac for a change in Operating System - I'm bored of Windows - and the fact that every now and again I want a laptop I can carry around the house or out and about with ease.

I will be using it for:

1. Media (music & video predominantly, maybe some editing)
    2. Internet (browsing & downloads)
    3. 'Light' gaming e.g. Football Manager 2009 / Live

Should I look to the base Aluminium model or higher?

I was also wondering how easy downloading films / torrents / rapidshare links are compared to windows PCs?

Also when is the next major revamp on the Macbook expected?

Many thanks for your replies.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Those protocols just don't work at all.

Mmm... at this point, if they aren't given a spec bump by May, I'd say fall; and then Q1 2010 with Clarksfield.

3. lukekarts thread starter macrumors regular

Even things like rar files from rapidshare?

I suppose I could live without torrents.

4. eneisch macrumors 6502

Torrents absolutely work with the Mac. There are two free bitorrent clients you should check out, utorrent and transmission. Both work as well as Windows versions.

Rar files can be decoded using the free UnRarX utility.

Hope this helps!

5. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

what do you mean they dont work?

I would say they are just as compatible.

6. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

He's trying to discourage someone from using torrents. (which I agree with)

7. lukekarts thread starter macrumors regular

Well if it helps I don't use torrents for anything particularly bad - I still buy all my music and films, I just download American TV I can't see here in England (e.g. basketball)

With regards to performance, is the base Aluminium model sufficient or should I consider upgrading the processor/ram?

I'm not really sure how Macs perform speedwise compared to similar spec PCs.

8. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

If you can afford it, go for the 2.4 model. The illuminated keyboard is so sweet! Plus a bigger hard drive and faster processor always helps!

9. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

the OP wasnt asking if it is a good idea to use torrents. just asked if it was possible.

why do you discourage using torrents?

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, well, I'm okay with that, at least.:cool:

The fastest notebook PC in 2007 was a Mac.

Partially the illegality of it, partially because this forum doesn't allow it, partially because people deserve to be paid for their work.

And partially because, if any of my future software gets pirated, I'll personally put a trojan in releases thereafter and activate it on pirated copies.:mad:

11. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

you are assuming all torrents are illegal.
    While i will agree with you that torrents can be used for pirated material, it is just a means of distributing data.

for example when i download ubuntu (a popular debian linux distribution) I find it faster to use the torrent method than to use their webservers.
    this is the recommended method for downloading since it does not use bandwidth on their servers and provides a higher potential bandwith speed.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#bt

mind you ubuntu is an open source OS.
    many free (free as in really free not pirated free) material are distributed via torrents.
    this is just one example of how torrents are used.

many large corporations also use torrents to distribute SW to their computers. this also takes stress off their server and allows faster implementation of their software.

pirated stuff can be obtained via torrents but torrents are not exclusive to pirated material. i think this misconception of the torrent protocol leads to many unnecessary debates.

to the OP
    i recommend transmission or utorrent for downloading torrents on mac.

12. Knolly macrumors 6502a

@OP

The base aluminum model would work perfectly for everything you need. Truth be told, the white plastic model is nearly the same as the aluminum and would work just as well and save you some money.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

For your needs either the WhiteBook or the base unibody would be fine. The 2.4 does offer the backlit keyboard, which I consider a very compelling feature, and faster speed.

14. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Tallest Skill isnt 'assuming' anything. I'd say 90% (and thats probably an understatement) of all torrent use is for illegal reasons.

15. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

whatever the percentage is, it is not 100 %.

i think it is wrong to group all of the torrents out there as illegal

there are many legit uses for torrents

16. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Your correct since I never said 100% of torrent use is illegal.
    Im just saying a VERY LARGE chunk of the users are using it for things they shouldnt be.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That's why he said 90%, not 100%.

18. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

yes but that was never mentioned originally. the idea of helping the OP find a way to download torrents was shot down based on the fact that a large percentage of torrents are illegal

understood, but by saying you dont recommend the OP using torrents because of that reason is assuming they will be using it for piracy.

19. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Never once did I recommend the OP to not use torrents.
    I was simply explaining why Tallest Skill said what he said.

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That's why I replied to his post and not the OPs.

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

*sigh*

In other words, the white MacBook would be perfectly fine for your intended use, OP, and if you'd like a unibody, any of them would work well.

Now cut the torrent crap.:p

22. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Well, it seems like me, you, and Tallest Skill kinda took this thread in the wrong direction....

To the OP: Yes you can use torrents but as Tallest Skill said this forum dosent allow it so you might want to look elsewhere for help on torrents but as i said, YES you can run torrents on a Mac.