iPhone X Decisions !! iPhone 7, 8 or X ??

vivek28

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
Hey Guys !!

I had a 7 matt black and got stolen. I am an active user and use iPhone in my pocket during runs in morning. I use apps more than a camera.

Went to apple store to see iPhones and here is my take.. help me decide

iPhone 7 - same great size, no glass back, no frills iPhone.. the thing i dont like is its battery life. 5-6 hours at most.

iPhone 8 - feels more premium, better battery life due to A11, 64gb upfront. I fear it glass back may shatter but in a case.. it goes fine as per other forum members.

iPhone X - compared to other two, its different and i love it. The size is nice too and handy compared to iphone XR and XS max

Heres the thing.. for 7,8 i will be going for refurbs from apple and for X probably amazon. I dont have enough dough for XS

Let me know which will suit me.. and i want to keep it for 2-3 years atleast..

vivek28

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
Get the iPhone X. Currently $50 (VZW), $150 (ATT), or $200 (Sprint) off at Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/iphone/iphone-x-shop-by-carrier/pcmcat1504817590528.c?id=pcmcat1504817590528

Don't support and get scmmed by fleaBay/Amazon marketplace reseller scumbags, unless of course you're buying in the new year when AMazon itself becomes an authorized Apple retailer.

Thanks.. I am also leaning towards X but the thing is my only option is.. to buy unlocked.. I would soon be moving out of US..

Thats why I was looking at amazon deals, best buy has it 899 unlocked.. Do you know any better deals ?

timeconsumer

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Thanks.. I am also leaning towards X but the thing is my only option is.. to buy unlocked.. I would soon be moving out of US..

Thats why I was looking at amazon deals, best buy has it 899 unlocked.. Do you know any better deals ?
Check out the Apple refurbished site. They usually have the 7 and 8 in stock. For the X I haven’t seen any yet.

Reactions: vivek28

vivek28

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
Check out the Apple refurbished site. They usually have the 7 and 8 in stock. For the X I haven’t seen any yet.
7 and 8 refurb are pretty easy to get.. Apple usually restocks them every week..

I am gunning for X.. but cant find any deals on unlocked..Folks say you can get easily for 600 around.. but where where ? Where is the Love lol ?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
7 and 8 refurb are pretty easy to get.. Apple usually restocks them every week..

I am gunning for X.. but cant find any deals on unlocked..Folks say you can get easily for 600 around.. but where where ? Where is the Love lol ?
You won’t likely find the 2017 X refurbished on Apples site, mainly because the X wasn’t in production that long, which means there would be less units. However, you would likely find the X refurbished from other online vendors, but I only trust Apples refurbished process.

Reactions: timeconsumer

vivek28

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
You won’t likely find the 2017 X refurbished on Apples site, mainly because the X wasn’t in production that long, which means there would be less units. However, you would likely find the X refurbished from other online vendors, but I only trust Apples refurbished process.
Me too, Trust in Apple Refurbs only. . .

Reactions: timeconsumer

mikehalloran

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
The X or the 7+. The dual-lens camera is a bit nicer in the X but only by a couple degrees. Loved my 7+ but like the smaller size of the X more. Not into aircraft carrier sized phones. If the camera isn’t that important, nothing wrong with a 7 or 8.

msp3

macrumors regular
May 9, 2015

Before you leave the US, pick one up at Best Buy. Their Black Friday promo is an outright price reduction as opposed to the gift cards offered at Target/Sam's Club/Walmart. Terms are 24-30 months, but early payoff is allowed and no bill credits involved. Do your upgrade, and when you cancel service upon leaving pay off the remaining balance for the unlock.

vivek28

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
Before you leave the US, pick one up at Best Buy. Their Black Friday promo is an outright price reduction as opposed to the gift cards offered at Target/Sam's Club/Walmart. Terms are 24-30 months, but early payoff is allowed and no bill credits involved. Do your upgrade, and when you cancel service upon leaving pay off the remaining balance for the unlock.
thanks for the rep.. this is the offer i see at bestbuy to avail 200 $ off.. so many terms man..I think they would get the their total 900 dollars for unlocked iphone in one way or another when i cancel their subscription. Also, you can see the that offered price is dispersed in to monthly billings not at first.. upfront..

*iPhone X (SKU: 6009792). Installment billing plan: Sprint 24-Month Installment Agreement. Total Sale Price $699.99. Total Price $899.99. Savings are deducted off the full total price of the device and are reflected in reduced monthly payments over the life of the device. Promotion does not apply to one-time payment activation. Carriers, coverage and products may vary by store. Requires credit approval, wireless service plan, qualifying device and an installment billing agreement for the carrier's required term. $0 down for well-qualified customers. For all others, down payment and other restrictions may apply. Monthly device payments for term (20–30 months subject to carrier) at retail price. 0% APR. Sales tax (on total price) may be due at purchase. If you cancel wireless service, remaining balance on device becomes due. Restocking fee and other charges may apply. Number of financed devices per account limitations may apply. Subject to carrier terms and conditions. Terms subject to change. Sprint requires down payment for well-qualified customers on select phones and eligible upgrade. Offer not valid on Sprint Flex lease. May not be combinable with other offers, discounts or credits. Excludes prepaid and unlocked phones. Colors and capacities may vary by store. See a Blue Shirt for details. ™ and © 2018 Apple Inc. All rights reserved. Apple and iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

Duckhunter

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
I vote iPhone X. I recently upgraded from a 7 to an X and there is no comparison! Screens better, cameras better and battery life is amazing! Plus I love Face ID and gestures now! My work phone is a 6S and it just seems small and outdated now!

Reactions: Jetcat3 and vivek28

vivek28

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
I vote iPhone X. I recently upgraded from a 7 to an X and there is no comparison! Screens better, cameras better and battery life is amazing! Plus I love Face ID and gestures now! My work phone is a 6S and it just seems small and outdated now!
Yeah.. thanks Man !! I had an iPhone 7 too.. I went to store and checked out new phones.. Its shocking to see what 365 days does to the iPhone released an year ago lol.

I like X more than a 7 or 8.

I am just looking for a better deal out there..

msp3

macrumors regular
May 9, 2015
thanks for the rep.. this is the offer i see at bestbuy to avail 200 $ off.. so many terms man..I think they would get the their total 900 dollars for unlocked iphone in one way or another when i cancel their subscription. Also, you can see the that offered price is dispersed in to monthly billings not at first.. upfront..

*iPhone X (SKU: 6009792). Installment billing plan: Sprint 24-Month Installment Agreement. Total Sale Price $699.99. Total Price $899.99. Savings are deducted off the full total price of the device and are reflected in reduced monthly payments over the life of the device. Promotion does not apply to one-time payment activation. Carriers, coverage and products may vary by store. Requires credit approval, wireless service plan, qualifying device and an installment billing agreement for the carrier's required term. $0 down for well-qualified customers. For all others, down payment and other restrictions may apply. Monthly device payments for term (20–30 months subject to carrier) at retail price. 0% APR. Sales tax (on total price) may be due at purchase. If you cancel wireless service, remaining balance on device becomes due. Restocking fee and other charges may apply. Number of financed devices per account limitations may apply. Subject to carrier terms and conditions. Terms subject to change. Sprint requires down payment for well-qualified customers on select phones and eligible upgrade. Offer not valid on Sprint Flex lease. May not be combinable with other offers, discounts or credits. Excludes prepaid and unlocked phones. Colors and capacities may vary by store. See a Blue Shirt for details. ™ and © 2018 Apple Inc. All rights reserved. Apple and iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
The key word to look for is "Total Sale Price $699.99. Total Price $899.99", this means Best Buy puts a $200 down payment for you on the phone, and you pay $699.99 in installments plus tax on the full $899.99. If it's a bill credits promo (reverse 2 year contracts), it will say so. Look around on the Best Buy site, it's pretty clear.

"Promotion does not apply to one-time payment activation" means if you pay upfront you don't get any discount at all. Typically only installment or bill credits payment plans will have a sale price. If you have one of ATT, Verizon, or Sprint it's a no-brainer to just go for a simple upgrade. Only look elsewhere or consider paying upfront if you're on a 2nd rate carrier/MVNO (that's all of them).

vivek28

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
The key word to look for is "Total Sale Price $699.99. Total Price $899.99", this means Best Buy puts a $200 down payment for you on the phone, and you pay $699.99 in installments plus tax on the full $899.99. If it's a bill credits promo (reverse 2 year contracts), it will say so. Look around on the Best Buy site, it's pretty clear.

"Promotion does not apply to one-time payment activation" means if you pay upfront you don't get any discount at all. Typically only installment or bill credits payment plans will have a sale price. If you have one of ATT, Verizon, or Sprint it's a no-brainer to just go for a simple upgrade. Only look elsewhere or consider paying upfront if you're on a 2nd rate carrier/MVNO (that's all of them).
I should be checking that out @BESTBUY. Thanks..

Jimmy James

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
It depends on price. If you can get a 7 for the $55 I got my 6s 128 for last year it may be worth it. That also depends on your budget. Sooo...it depends.

uknation87

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
Hey Guys !!

I had a 7 matt black and got stolen. I am an active user and use iPhone in my pocket during runs in morning. I use apps more than a camera.

Went to apple store to see iPhones and here is my take.. help me decide

iPhone 7 - same great size, no glass back, no frills iPhone.. the thing i dont like is its battery life. 5-6 hours at most.

iPhone 8 - feels more premium, better battery life due to A11, 64gb upfront. I fear it glass back may shatter but in a case.. it goes fine as per other forum members.

iPhone X - compared to other two, its different and i love it. The size is nice too and handy compared to iphone XR and XS max

Heres the thing.. for 7,8 i will be going for refurbs from apple and for X probably amazon. I dont have enough dough for XS

Let me know which will suit me.. and i want to keep it for 2-3 years atleast..
I moved up from the 7+ to the XS Max. I understand you not wanting to spend that type of money but between your available options, I would go with the X all day long. Good luck!

vivek28

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
I moved up from the 7+ to the XS Max. I understand you not wanting to spend that type of money but between your available options, I would go with the X all day long. Good luck!
Great to hear that.. How do you like the gestures ? Do you miss the touch id ?
[doublepost=1542520153][/doublepost]
It depends on price. If you can get a 7 for the $55 I got my 6s 128 for last year it may be worth it. That also depends on your budget. Sooo...it depends.
7 for 55$... where ?

I am looking at unlocked options only, one time full payment ..

Euroamerican

macrumors regular
May 27, 2010
Boise
For me, the 7, 8, and X were all attractive phones to find a winner based mostly on price. My decision came down to fact that I needed to replace my 5S and wanted a deal on a better iPhone.

The 8 was on sale, I liked it, and I plant to keep it for several years. Middle choice, sale price, nice phone. Problem sorted for this otherwise "paralyzed by analysis" kind of guy.

Jimmy James

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Great to hear that.. How do you like the gestures ? Do you miss the touch id ?
[doublepost=1542520153][/doublepost]

7 for 55$... where ?

I am looking at unlocked options only, one time full payment ..
The price was for my 6s last year. I’m suggesting that older models can be a great deal sometimes and worth considering.