decisions..... macbook vs. pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badfish903, Apr 26, 2009.

1. badfish903 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So once Apple begins the college rebate that allows you to get a free iPod, I'm going to buy a new laptop. My question for you is... which one?

There are currently 3 models that I am looking at, all refurbished:

the 2.4 ghz Macbook

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB467LL/A?mco=MjE0NjI4NQ

the previous generation of Macbook Pro

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB512LL/A?mco=MjE0NjE5MA

and finally, the current generation of Macbook Pro

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB470LL/A?mco=MjE0NjE5MA

Mainly, I will be using the computer for pretty common things. (Word processing, web, music, etc...) . But I do some more data intensive things as well, so I wouldn't want to rule out the 2 Macbook Pro's from the start. All advice is GREATLY appreciated :apple:

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

It just depends what you can afford...If you can afford the new Unibody MBP, then go for it.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

In my opinion, the MBP is more machine than you need at this time
    The MB will do everything you need to do (unless you absolutely need Firewire)

Save your money... the cost difference is significant, the performance difference isn't in your case

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

prev gen MPB is power w a better price, sounds good to me

5. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Unless you are going to be doing graphics intense applications - ie video rendering, or photoshop, then a MacBook Unibody is an awesome machine. They play pretty good games under Boot Camp, just a lower resolutions. I am glad I have a MBP, but if I had it to do all over again, I could live with a MB, especially with money being tight in this economy... Blah Blah, you get it.

6. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

idk about you, but the macbooks screen was a deal breaker for me, 13 was just too small and the MBP was higher quality screen as well. I spend a ton of time on mine at school so im glad i did get this one. And if you find you didnt need all that mac a few months later....you can sell it and get a macbook and prob have $ left over

7. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Which is?

So far the (plastic or aluminum) MacBook 2.0GHz is the best for you, but if you have the money, the MBP miles better then the MacBook. Personnal experience. I've sold mine to get a MBP and haven't any regret since.

I'm doing design on this thing (Meaning: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, sometimes open at the same time) and gaming (only Counter Strike Source and Oblivion, which I put at maximum settings @60FPS with the 9600mGT on Windows). Too bad that there's Light leak on the two model I had thus far. Waiting that my first one goes back to Apple so I can ask for my second replacement.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That was my deciding factor as well. I wasn't planning on doing anything GPU intensive so I was content with the 9400M. It sucks having to pay the difference (approx 500+CDN) from the high end MacBook to MacBook Pro just for the screen (and 9600M GT but I hardly use it anyway).