Decisions.. MB and MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JHNguyen, Jan 17, 2008.

1. JHNguyen macrumors member

Hey,
    First.. sorry, I know this topic is brought up a lot but I'm a bit desperate for some advice.

I have a Revision A MBP, that I just gave away to a family member.. I liked it a lot but.. for school, I want something that doesn't run super hot, and has decent battery life.. a more portable solution would be great too, but not necessary.

I've been thinking of a Macbook. Anyone ever downgrade from a MBP to a MB? I don't play games, but I do plan on video editing, though nothing super serious. Looks are not a huge deal for me, the only thing stopping me from going is the graphics card. I don't play any games, but I know the graphics card is essential for some other software too? Mainly, I just want to know how well it will do with Final Cut Pro, or Express..

And also, the battery life. Is the battery life any better on an Macbook than a Macbook Pro? If not, I'd rather just carry around the extra 2 inches and have the more powerful MBP.

What do you guys think?

I'm a college student and I basically use my laptop for, surfing the net, email, music, movies, and I would like to get started with video editing.

2. JHNguyen thread starter macrumors member

3. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I have had a few macbooks and always got rid of them. The glossy drives me up the wall and also it is too crammed and found it always just to small. I travel a lot and yes I can use an external screen, but it s a laptop so I want to use it on my lap, lying on my bean bag etc.

Battery life I find the same as my MBP, I listen to itunes, browse the web do a few emails. That is about it, so cant really comment on heavy usage.

I had a 1.83 MBP, and it was bluntly crap, the new ones including my last 15" 2.2 SR an now my 17" MBP SR are way better then any of my other MBP, that inculdes my 2GHZ, 2.16GHZ, MBP and y 17" 2.16CD MBP. Same name different beasts quite literally.

4. JHNguyen thread starter macrumors member

Glossy screens are absolutely fine to me. But if the battery life is the same, I might just go for a used or refurb MBP.

I also forgot to mention, my previous MBP is a 2.0 ghz intel core duo.

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster