Decisions! Which to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NightwalkerUK, Jan 8, 2009.

1. NightwalkerUK macrumors member

Hi All

As a long time Mac user and designer, I have the need to purchase a new Mac which I think this time round will be a Macbook to accompany (not replace) my DP 1.8 G5 and Intel iMac as I need some portability. My question is going to get a mix of opinions some of which I already know and think but I want to know which out of the two following deals seems the better buy?

http://www.jigsaw24.com/default.aspx?ITEM=JIGSMB470BA&IP=1WG_NOTESC_NTAPPPL_MBPFC_MBP2.4NCC

http://www.jigsaw24.com/default.aspx?ITEM=JIGSMB134BA&IP=1WG_NOTESC_NTAPPPL_MBPFC_MBP2.5CC

Mike

2. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

unibody, just cause its the one I have... I upgraded to 4gigs of RAM tho...

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Actually for what your paying the older one is better value, the unibody there only has 2 x 256MB graphics cards, and remember whilst it may have two, at the moment they can only work one at a time, where as the older one has 1 x 512MB which will be just as good if not better. The older ones also got a faster processor but it doesnt look as nice.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd get the newer unibody because the unibody does indeed have better build quality. Otherwise if you don't care about that, the older one is better value.

5. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I'd definitely go with the unibody, but that's just me.

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

7. Mercellus macrumors regular

It depends on what you are planning on doing with the computer, I've owned both and had a great experience with both.

The only thing I would be worried about is the GeForce 8600M GT graphics card as there have been a higher amount of those chips failing, although it's mostly the 128MB and 256MB models from the Mid-2007 range that were failing although the Early 2008 models have been flagged as potentially faulty as well, and Apple has set up a warranty extension for those affected by this.

You also have to look at it from the point that the less expensive model is still fully capable, and you could put the additional money down towards some great applications for your Mac. On the other hand, the Late 2008 MacBook Pro has a faster graphics card on top of the integrated card which does an excellent job, and it's more future proof in comparison (faster front side bus, faster DDR3 memory, the SuperDrive is Serial ATA).

All in all, I'd recommend the Late 2008 model due to the performance difference and the future-proof nature of the computer industry, newer is always better. But that's just my opinion. In this time where the economy is struggling, I think you should look to see how much you can really afford to spend on a computer and go from there.

Good luck! :) :apple: