Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bear

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
With the PowerMac I have on order, I will have one more Mac than I need.

I currently have a 17" iLamp G4 800MHz and a PowerMac Dual 1.42 with a 23" Cinema Display.

So, which one do I sell? The iLamp is more than enough for what it is used for, but in the future may not be enough. The PowerMac G4 is overkill.

Or do I sell both and buy a new iMac G5? This should leave me with cash in my pocket when both the iLamp and the PowerMac G4 are sold.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Bear said:
Or do I sell both and buy a new iMac G5? This should leave me with cash in my pocket when both the iLamp and the PowerMac G4 are sold.

To me, that sounds like an excellent idea. G5 power, space-saving, quieter than the PM 1.42... that's my vote.

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
Me personally, I would sell the iMac and keep the Dual PowerMac G4. Its still a very fast machine and in many ways its faster than the G5 iMac. Best of all, its highly upgradeable - CPU, video card, hard drive, optical drive. You can pick up a used PC Radeon 9800 Pro for like $100 and flash it and it will most likely be faster than the iMac in gaming. They are still coming out with higher speed G4's and dual core G4's are on the horizon. When BluRay or HD-DVD comes out, you can easily upgrade to that. Best of all you can use whatever display you want - you aren't stuck with the one on the G5 iMac.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Jigglelicious said:
Me personally, I would sell the iMac and keep the Dual PowerMac G4. Its still a very fast machine and in many ways its faster than the G5 iMac. Best of all, its highly upgradeable - CPU, video card, hard drive, optical drive. You can pick up a used PC Radeon 9800 Pro for like $100 and flash it and it will most likely be faster than the iMac in gaming. They are still coming out with higher speed G4's and dual core G4's are on the horizon. When BluRay or HD-DVD comes out, you can easily upgrade to that. Best of all you can use whatever display you want - you aren't stuck with the one on the G5 iMac.

I agree, and plus, you can replace the fans in the MDD to make it quieter. Very convenient.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Mechcozmo said:
I agree, and plus, you can replace the fans in the MDD to make it quieter. Very convenient.

It's a painfully drawn-out and in my case, relatively expensive job. The two worst offenders were the heat-sink fans which needed a complete heat-sink replacement. Replaced every fan in the machine including the power supply fans, except the small one in the side door.

Even after all that, it's still far noisier than a G5 PM. Have never heard a G5 iMac so can't comment there.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
...Have never heard a G5 iMac so can't comment there.

If you've seen Top Gun the iMac G5 sounds a bit like an F-14 on full after-burn at takeoff. Some people say it's only when they're working the processor hard but mine is quite random. It's the launch model, I don't know if things have improved.

That said I still think it's good value but regret not getting a 15" PB.

Bear

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The Video board in the PowerMac G4 is more than adequate for what I would be using the machine for. And I wouldn't touch any of it's fans until the AppleCare expires.

I do like the looks of the iLamp, but it does have its limitations.

I'm leaning towards selling both, which would mean I'd sell the iLamp right away and then sell the PowerMac G4 after the PowerMac G5 arrives and is set up and running with all the data copied over.

So now I guess it's time to research what an iLamp is worth.

Very soon to be for sale: 17" iLamp G4 800MHz
  • 1 GB RAM
  • 80 GB Harddrive
  • 2x Superdrive
  • Airport Card
  • Internal Modem
  • Apple Pro Speakers
  • Apple Pro Mouse
  • All of the above was part of the original system
  • NO Keyboard (Sorry)
Also an iSub will be included.
System and iSub will be shipped in their original boxes.

If someone makes a good offer I will sell right away, otherwise it'll take a couple of days for me to figure out what I want to get for it. Any serious suggestions about its worth?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
mpw said:
If you've seen Top Gun the iMac G5 sounds a bit like an F-14 on full after-burn at takeoff. Some people say it's only when they're working the processor hard but mine is quite random. It's the launch model, I don't know if things have improved.

MY EYES! OH MY LORD THEY BURN!!! AAAHHH!!! TURN IT OFF PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEEEEEEE!!!

Linkety

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Mechcozmo said:
MY EYES! OH MY LORD THEY BURN!!! AAAHHH!!! TURN IT OFF PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEEEEEEE!!!

Linkety
Haha. After the edesign/lacero same person debate, will the fact that we've both posted the ban comic sans link lead to a similar question about us?

Of course, you're probably nicer than I.

I'd keep the G4 PM, but that's just because I miss mine so much. Its smooth, shiny curves and small but reassuring jet engine noise were never important until they were gone :(.

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
Get the iMac G5, because I'm drooling over one right now.

I probably won't have the scratch to buy one until sometime next summer. You can do it now though, so consider yourself blessed.

iMac iMac iMac iMac iMac

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
mpw said:

The new iMac is SUPER quiet. I have owned four LOUD iMac G5's since introduction. They FINALLY got this revision correct.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
nospleen said:
The new iMac is SUPER quiet. I have owned four LOUD iMac G5's since introduction. They FINALLY got this revision correct.
I'm curious... how loud is 'loud?' If you brought it into an Apple store, could you hear it over the ruckus that other shoppers were making? Or did you just phone AppleCare, state you have a noisy iMac and then received replacements?

Or have you not gotten any replacements at all? Hm...

Church

macrumors regular
May 9, 2005
Alabama
I think the benchmark for loud should be the emac. If it's quieter than that, i'm all for it. <8D I know a 1.6ghz imac is quieter than the emac, so stop complaining whoever. ;) <3

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I would get the new 20" iMac because it will take up a lot less space and looks great, I really do like the Dual 1.42 PM but if you aren't really using it, I would get one good G5 system.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
unless you are a mac collector, you may want to go through the process of upgrading the machines you want... eg. sell the powermac G4 as you are getting your new G5, and if you want an iMac, sell the iLamp (to me!!! i love those things!!!). this mans you are updating to the most recent machines. if you want fewer machines, just sell them and pocket the cash.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
matticus008 said:
Haha. After the edesign/lacero same person debate, will the fact that we've both posted the ban comic sans link lead to a similar question about us?

Of course, you're probably nicer than I.

I have been know to inflict bodily harm onto people that use Comic Sans. Usually with the heaviest and bluntest object around. I still feel bad for that G5 in the Apple Store...:rolleyes:

:p ;)

devilot76 said:
I'm curious... how loud is 'loud?' If you brought it into an Apple store, could you hear it over the ruckus that other shoppers were making? Or did you just phone AppleCare, state you have a noisy iMac and then received replacements?

I have done work on a 1.8 GHz iMac G5, Rev. A (I think? Pretty sure it is a 17") and it is quiet. As in, nobody else in the room and I can hear the hard drive spinning quiet.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
devilot76 said:

Apple sent a midplane for one, and it helped a little. I gave one to my sis and then sold the rest. I could not hear it at the store, but at home I definately could. Mine were louder than an emac. But, this is one is super quiet. I cannot stress enough how quiet it is. Apple should now say, quieter than a whisper. (or maybe I finally got lucky)

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
Sell it all...but not the monitor...

I would sell the iLamp and the G4, but I would keep the 23" display and buy a MacMini and a EyeTV (or something similar) for it. Then I'd toss it in the entertainment unit. Way cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.