Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you tried Barclays partner finance?

• Yep - no probs

Votes: 38 51.4%
  • Yep - was turned down

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Was turned down, but tried again and was accepted

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Nope

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters

hector

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Cheltenham, UK
Hi all - not sure if this is the right forum but I couldn't find many threads on here about this, so thought worth asking.

It's time to replace my old 2013 MBP, so went to pull the trigger on a new model. The blow of getting the 10th gen rather than the base model would be considerably softened by the attractive 0% finance option with Barclays - but I was declined!

I actually tried to apply for Barclay's partner finance when I bought a new MBA last month (returned it, hence now wanting MBP), and was declined then as well. I'm 34, have got an excellent credit score (always pay my Amex each month) and a good salary etc. I rung Barclays who basically said they weren't able to tell me the reason I'd been declined, but it was because I didn't meet some of their criteria.

Even tried getting my wife to buy it for me (bigger salary than me), but she was turned down too...

Anyone else had a problem with this? Doesn't make much sense - I've not been turned down before!

Any help massively appreciated - otherwise looks like I'm paying £1800 outright - ouch.

Reactions: ascender and jpn

altdimension

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2020
London, UK
When you say 'I've got an excellent credit score', do you know that as a fact or are you just guessing?

Have a look via https://www.clearscore.com/ I started using it last month and although like you I thought my credit score was good, it actually wasn't quite as good as I was expecting.

Jeremytg3

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2020
Pennsylvania
I applied and was approved instantly. The only reason I even considered was the 0% financing over 18 months that caught my eye. Do you have an Apple Card already?

Was your job role available as an option when applying? Mine wasn’t, so I picked the closest thing.

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
Applied on Monday for a new MacBook Pro, 2 people got declined in my household and a friend of month. All with excellent credit history and home owners without a mortgage. Either they are not doing consumer finance in this time or they having system issues due to all the bounce back loans.

thew it on my 29th month interest free credit card instead

hector

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Cheltenham, UK
Interesting. Yeh I checked with Experian, and spoke with Barclays themselves who when I pressed them to tell me why I'd been declined, said that it wasn't because of any 'delinquency' on my credit score.

ClearScore gave me 536/700 which is apparently 'soaring high' and 'stable'...

Reactions: George Dawes

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Dec 20, 2009
a small village near London
I applied and got credit on Saturday last week. My credit score is around the same as yours (it may be a tad higher 500s) and I wouldn’t say is excellent.
Ive had a very patchy history although that’s behind me all now.

It didn’t approve instantly and they rang me to confirm and ask me some verification questions but I got an email 10 mins after the call to say I was accepted.

sorry I know it doesn’t help you much.

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
I've not tried for a little while, the last thing I purchased with Barclays finance was the iPhone 8 on launch day but that seemed to go through ok.
I guess they might be even more cautious at the moment and that certain jobs stand a high chance of redundancy or at least long term furlough and thus while you might be able to afford it now they could be looking at the affordability long term.

drunkmouth

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Interesting. Yeh I checked with Experian, and spoke with Barclays themselves who when I pressed them to tell me why I'd been declined, said that it wasn't because of any 'delinquency' on my credit score.

ClearScore gave me 536/700 which is apparently 'soaring high' and 'stable'...

It's all well and good relying on ClearScore but it doesn't mean Barclay's use them. You need to see what your score is with other agencies like Experian and Transunion (CreditKarma). Also if you're rejected and re-apply again and get rejected, you're only harming your score in the long run. It's never a good idea to keep reapplying.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Could be they are being more selective due to the pandemic, not extended credit as freely as usual. I know a lot of people whose credit card limits are being lowered as credit card companies are worried about people not being able to make payments due to job losses. Not sure this applies here, but could be part of it.

hector

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Cheltenham, UK
Interesting. Yep fair enough that score isn't excellent, but was going off the Barclays person I spoke to who said my credit score was fine and I wasn't the reason I was turned down... will try ringing them again. So annoying!

I can afford to buy outright but that's a lot of cash, and 0% finance is very attractive!

Rich74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
You don’t have a credit score in the uk, you have a credit worthiness. The number you see that Experian etc. sell you as a score only you will ever see. Banks like Barclays will never see it, it fictitious, it’s made up.

Pay the £2 to get a copy of your report and see what is on it.
[automerge]1588868783[/automerge]

Number 9 on this list, but worth a read.

Last edited:

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
Declined last year when I wanted to get a 16 inch on 0%. One thing I know can cause problems is any mismatch in addresses given and the ones on record or being delivered to. But really it seems pretty random.

Reactions: blythy

Jeremytg3

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2020
Pennsylvania
I was under the impression the Barclays through Apple was only for Apple but I received a Visa chip card in the mail a couple days ago. I just got around to opening it today and saw what it was.

CC117

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Shipping and billing address have to be the same. I made that mistake, was declined but tried immediately after making sure billing and shipping matched and it through instantly.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Guys, I tried to do this and was asked to complete a form and do the following, below. Is this what you have to do before you get accepted?! I really can't be bothered with all that.

• Provide us with a copy of one of the following documents, so we can verify your identity: Unexpired Passport
    Unexpired UK photocard driving licence (the photo should not have expired).
  • Provide us with a copy of one of the following documents, so we can verify your address: Unexpired photocard driving licence (if not used for identity proof above)
    Unexpired UK old style (paper) driving licence (not provisional)
    Bank or credit card statement from last 3 months
  • Utility bill from the last 3 months (not mobile phone or satellite/cable TV)
    Council Tax Demand Notice from last 12 months
    Notification of government/local authority benefit; entitlement to tax credit/pension or HMRC correspondence containing your full name, address and NI number.
  • Please provide us with a copy that is less than 3 or 12 months old, contains the name and address given on your loan application and is an open account.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Dec 20, 2009
Guys, I tried to do this and was asked to complete a form and do the following, below. Is this what you have to do before you get accepted?! I really can't be bothered with all that.

• Provide us with a copy of one of the following documents, so we can verify your identity: Unexpired Passport
  • Provide us with a copy of one of the following documents, so we can verify your address: Unexpired photocard driving licence (if not used for identity proof above)
    Notification of government/local authority benefit; entitlement to tax credit/pension or HMRC correspondence containing your full name, address and NI number.
  • Please provide us with a copy that is less than 3 or 12 months old, contains the name and address given on your loan application and is an open account.

Nope. I had a phone call from a lady and they asked who my phone was with, who else registered at my house. My age at next birthday etc

Cookie18

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
France

I know for a fact that I didn't have to provide all of that because I don't actually live at the address I used. I've been accepted 3 times with no additional confirmations such as a phone call, providing documents or anything like that.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
That is bizarre. Unless for some weird reason I selected their other finance option. There's two options when you click through but I was certain I'd used the 0% finance option. The other one is 14% or something. I now have a couple of orders pending :-/ I'd have to reorder to try again. I'm sure they'll wipe the others off if I just leave them.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Dec 20, 2009
That is bizarre. Unless for some weird reason I selected their other finance option. There's two options when you click through but I was certain I'd used the 0% finance option. The other one is 14% or something. I now have a couple of orders pending :-/ I'd have to reorder to try again. I'm sure they'll wipe the others off if I just leave them.

it'll just be to confirm your identity mate.

J330E

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2020
I applied to then last week for my MacBook Pro. I was instantly accepted, this was despite me missing my AMEX payment the month earlier... First time in 12 years I have ever missed a payment still mortified!

That being said, I have had two iPhones on the upgrade program with Barclays in the past which were paid in full so don't know if that maybe contributes to your personal "score" with Barclays?

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I applied because I liked the idea of being able to spread the cost at 0%, but got declined. My credit rating is excellent, but I did buy a house about 9 months ago so that may have had something to do with it. So I just paid cash. The approvals seems bit random to me.

hector

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Cheltenham, UK
I spoke to my best man who said it's pretty random - he's head of one of the digital departments at Barclay's in Canary Wharf, Barclays pay his (large) salary and they wouldn't even give him a mortgage!

He recommended I tweak a couple of things, which I tried, but rejected again.

Have bought it outright - £1800 bit of a hit on the wallet, but looking forward to it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.