Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvpbt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
I am trying to recover an old password stored in my keychain. I have gone through the process of retrieving the password using my keychain password. My problem is that it shows the password as a 16-digit string of numbers and characters. It is preceded by a 17-digit string of numbers. Is there a way to decode the strings? Thanks for any advice!

0d085d

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
How did you retrieve the password? You should just be able to click Show password in Keychain Access to see your passwords in plain text.

jvpbt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
I viewed it using the show password in Keychain Access, but the text returned was
"72157623362056147-11fc345d30e9f814". All of my other passwords show up in plain text, but this one was encoded.

0d085d

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
I viewed it using the show password in Keychain Access, but the text returned was
"72157623362056147-11fc345d30e9f814". All of my other passwords show up in plain text, but this one was encoded.

In that case, I imagine either:
  1. Your keychain is corrupted
  2. Whatever application stored this password stored only a hash and not the plain text password. If this is a password for an internet account or mail or something then this probably isn't the case.
If it's either of the above then you won't be able to get the original password. I'm not sure what else it could be, but with a bit of luck somebody else might have a bright idea.

jvpbt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
Thank you for looking at it and the ideas. It is a website password that has been working for quite a while. I didn't use it for a while, so the website prompted to relog in and the autologin didn't work. Worst case, I'll rebuild the profile on the website and start over. Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.