Decreased Battery Life After MMS activation

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tdmac, Oct 6, 2009.

1. tdmac macrumors 6502

My batter life used to be great on my iphone. I could go all day without the battery going dead. This is with little browsing and receiving fetched email's every 15min. I had no push activated except for my mobileme account for which I get no email but just calendar changes.

Ever since I updated the iphone to enable MMS, my phone dies before the day is out. I am not sening nor receive any MMS messages. I may only get a few texts in a given day.

Is anyone else noticing decreased battery life after the update?

BTW, As I am typing this, my wife just called me today to say that her phone is already 1/2 out on battery and we unplugged the phone from the charger like 2hrs ago. She normally has shorter battery life, due to pushed exchange mail/calendar but never this bad.

2. MasterDev macrumors 65816

IT WAS A FREAKING CARRIER UPDATE. You're doing something wrong... Like maybe using the phone more.

3. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

I suspect that problem is not related to the carrier update but to 3.1. Many users have experienced reduced battery life after upgrading to 3.1. A lot of had perfect battery usage until the iPhone was rebooted (as it does when the carrier update is applied) and then suddenly their battery use goes through the floor.

4. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

I'm 99.9% sure that these "decreases" in battery life.. can be attributed to somebody reading a thread online about battery life, and simply paying more attention.. and then becoming paranoid..

here's a simple rule of thumb.

If you use the phone, the battery will drain.

GET A CAR CHARGER

5. jmd0104 macrumors newbie

Well I'm very conscious of my battery and I have all the Push Email, Fetch Email, and Push Notifications turned off and I have noticed a significant loss in battery life over the last few days since I updated the phone. While the phone sits idle it will lose 20% of the battery in an hour. Use to only lose about 3 or 4%. Something is definitely messing with the life of the battery.

-Jason

6. tivoboy macrumors 68030

yes

yes if you ALSO did the 3.1 update when you did the carrier update, you might be experiencing some of the issues with that update.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If you're sure you aren't using the phone any more than usual then it doesn't hurt to take it into the genius bar to get it looked at. Pay no attention to the grouchy teenagers on this forum.

8. tdmac thread starter macrumors 6502

I did the 3.1 update back when it was first avail and saw no real change. I really started noticing a problem over the last several days. Let me see how the battery is doing later today. I also realized a couple of things that may or may not be part of the problem.

1) I coach my kids soccer games and I was using the stopwatch feature in the clock to time the game and sub players. I also have had the passlock activated and well as auto lock after 1min. The past couple of games were annoying with me taking the iphone out of my pocket and having to unlock the phone so I deactivated both the passlock and the autolock so I can quickly glance at the stopwatch. I reactivated both the autolock and the passcode last night (forgot). What I also noticed today is that I never stopped the stopwatch. So don't know if one of these was the culprit as well.

9. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I LOVE YOU. I drain my battery in 5 hours and im not whining because i have a spare charger.

10. MasterDev macrumors 65816

That and a lot of people don't understand that apps use POWER. Then they get mad because their OLD phones didn't die as fast... But what they don't see is that their old phones were not as good or powerful as the iPhone. Also they don't realize that they are USING it MUCH MUCH MUCH MORE than their old phone.

JEEZ. :mad::D

11. jmd0104 macrumors newbie

Well I haven't changed any of my apps and I never had the old phone. I'm going on the battery life I had last week vs. this week after the carrier update. I've been monitoring my battery all day. It's been in idle mode all day with the exception of 2 text messages. I looked at the phone and it was at 78% and 20 minutes later it jumped down to 15%. Somethings not right.

-Jason

12. tdmac thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe this is a 3.1 issue not sure. I do want to try the stowatch test and leave it sunning and see if this was the culprit. I know others have complained about unresponsiveness after the update and I can say this has recently creeped its head into my phone. I just had the same damn this happen to me three times in a row, after I had to reset the phone each time.

I went to camera. I clicked on camera roll. The first time I am not sure that I actually clicked on a picture. But I did the second and third times. I then got a phone call so I put the iphone down. I know it was a min or two before I picked the phone back up again to look at the picture and the phone screen is black and unresponsive. I do have the lock after 1min setting and a passcode. Phone is a 3GS.

Can anyone else confirm the same?

13. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure this is a 3.1 issue. 3.0 worked great for me. I would still have 3.0.1 on my 3Gs if it wasn't for Snapture. :(

14. thelumpya2 macrumors regular

thelumpya2

I guess the question then is..

Did you start monitoring your battery life after you read a thread or an article about decreased battery life after the MMS update..

or..

Did you start monitoring your battery life because you noticed a drastic decrease ON YOUR OWN..

I only ask because most of the time the hype just feeds the hysteria..

15. COBRASVT macrumors regular

Should've stuck with Camera Genius and 3.0.1. But I'm not willing to give up my jail breaks. :D

16. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

Its all been said ... but I certainly have not seen any battery loss with the MMS carrier update

17. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Agreed. I can’t imagine any way possible that a carrier update would effect battery life. If you received a lot of MMS, then yeah. But just having the update, no way.

You can jailbreak 3.1 now as long as you’re already jailbroken. Yes, on the 3GS, too. Little hint: If you don’t have it already, get the “Rock” app. It’s like Cydia, but much better. Install it via Cydia, make a username and login. You can then “backup” your apps. When you restore, log back in after jailbreaking and go to “restore” and it’ll automatically download all of your previous Cydia apps for you.. themes, ringtones, etc too. :)

18. COBRASVT macrumors regular

I have/user/love the Rock App and love the ability to restore, but have yet to try it.

I didn't think the JB for 3.1 was perfected yet???