Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Douge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Princeton
I have had my 1st generation Macbook Pro for a bit over a year and the screen seems to be significantly less bright than when I purchased it. Anyone else seen this happening?

There is also ghosting for about 2 min. on the screen when I wake the computer in the morning.

Also annoying is a dead pixel on the screen. That's manageable though.

Seems to me like Apple did a great job with the computer but a chose a poor screen.

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Well, all LCD screen grow dimmer over time, it's just the way the technology works. There's literally a fluorescent lightbulb behind your screen that creates the light for the monitor. All fluorescent lightbulbs grow dimmer over time, it's inherent to the physics laws that they use to produce light.

Desktop LCD screens grow dimmer at a MUCH slower rate than laptop LCDs (I don't know why, but I'm sure it's related to needing power, weight, and size savings on a laptop).

This is exactly one of the reasons why Apple is now using LED backlit screens. They grow dimmer over time too, but supposedly much more slowly (IIRC).

However, there is a bell curve for average brightness loss, and if you think you've really lost brightness more quickly than is acceptable then you should speak to Apple. If you have a legitimate claim then they might replace your screen.

Annndy!

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
Halethorpe, MD
Anyone know what the average price is to replace a dimming LCD screen on a Macbook Pro? Mine's only a few months old and I haven't noticed anything yet, but I was just curious.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Well, all LCD screen grow dimmer over time, it's just the way the technology works. There's literally a fluorescent lightbulb behind your screen that creates the light for the monitor. All fluorescent lightbulbs grow dimmer over time, it's inherent to the physics laws that they use to produce light.

Desktop LCD screens grow dimmer at a MUCH slower rate than laptop LCDs (I don't know why, but I'm sure it's related to needing power, weight, and size savings on a laptop).

This is exactly one of the reasons why Apple is now using LED backlit screens. They grow dimmer over time too, but supposedly much more slowly (IIRC).

However, there is a bell curve for average brightness loss, and if you think you've really lost brightness more quickly than is acceptable then you should speak to Apple. If you have a legitimate claim then they might replace your screen.

Technically speaking, LED's shouldn't grow dimmer at all over time (I can't think of any particular reason they would).

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Technically speaking, LED's shouldn't grow dimmer at all over time (I can't think of any particular reason they would).

I'm far from an LED expert, but there seems to be consensus everywhere I've read that LEDs do lose brightness over time, but many people say they lose brightness slower than fluorescents.

"LEDs also last much longer than fluorescent lamps, losing roughly 10% brightness over the same 50,000 hours over which fluorescent lamps might lose 50%."

- from http://digitalcontentproducer.com/mag/video_illuminating_technology/

and more

http://www.google.com/search?num=10...ls=en&q=LED+LCD+"lose+brightness"&btnG=Search

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.