Decreased Performance

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Catch Them, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Catch Them macrumors regular

This is in regarding a MacPro First Gen 2.66 w/ 4GB of Memory 1900XT

Recently I reset the PRAM on my system (for the first time since ive got this machine back in 2007 of march) and the apple logo used to show up only a second or two after pressing the power button, NOW it shows up 20 seconds later and the system doesnt load until after about 55seconds ...which isnt normal for htis machine.

the machine used to boot up in under 22seconds but after resetting the PRAM it now takes MUCH longer to boot into.

is there any way to diagnose or fix this issue?
    it even takes longer to get into my bootcamp drive as well; meaning when i Hold OPTION down it takes about 15-20seconds for the drives to show up and for me to make my selection it used to be instant.

any recommendations on fixing this?

thanks!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It just sounds like you need to reinforce you startup disk. By that I mean, you need to set it in the Startup Disk System Preference, so that info is restored to the PRAM. You may have to cycle between setting OS X and Windows as your startup disk but that should fix it.

TEG

3. Catch Them thread starter macrumors regular

ah good call,im such a doofus hah!
    ill give that a shot and post back.
    hah was in a hurry to try to figure it out didnt even try that.
    i had installed osme memory that was causing my system to crash even though its the same memory i purchased before thats been working solid for a year so i figured maybe it needed a refresh.

thanks!

edit:

yeah it wasnt locating either of the start up disks, so i pulled out the windows drive, booted into OSX and reselected the start up drive and appears to be operating smoother.

thanks for that, =)