Dedicate RAM to video

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mauler5858, Aug 6, 2011.

1. mauler5858 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I am pretty new to the mac, but I have the 13in MB Pro 2011, 4GB RAM with the Intel 3000 video. It says that it has 384MB i believe dedicated to video. Can I do on this machine like I have done on previous systems and allocate a little bit of my RAM to video. Are there any adverse side effects in doing this on the mac(besides losing RAM)?

Thanks

2. LostParadox macrumors member

I know that if you upgrade to 8GB ram your Mac will automatically Dedicate more memory to the video increasing it to 512mb however unlike you could have done in say BIOS for a PC i do not believe you can change how/what uses your memory

3. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

i dont really understand what you said but i've heard that if you increase your ram to 8gb the intel hd3000 will have 512mb vid mem

4. dsio macrumors regular

The amount of dedicated video RAM has zero impact on the performance of the GPU as long as the texture quality settings you're using fit within that amount. Even if it exceeds dedicated video RAM, it just uses normal RAM after that, which is the same thing it would be doing anyway. So there are no adverse side effects, because there are no effects at all anyway, it just does nothing.

5. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I don't think allocating more memory to Intel HD 3000 will yield any performance boost. I have 8GB RAM installed in my 2011 Core i5 MBP, and thus 512mb allocated to the GPU, the graphics performance increase is negligible.