Dedicated document scanner for small business

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rversteegh, Mar 7, 2017.

1. rversteegh macrumors member

Hi all, I am looking for a document scanner to support my small business, I don't scan a huge amount maybe 1-3 documents a day (thermal receipts, packing slips, invoices etc), but expect this number to grow with the business. I had my heart set on a Scansnap S1300i until four days ago when the Wirecutter changed it's recommendation! They now recommend an Epson ES-300W, has anyone had experience with this one? Also for those with the Scansnap is the bundled software e.g. Scansnap receipts etc worth swaying the choice?

Additional info, I don't want to go too high in price, $550NZD or $300USD say, the S1300i is available here, at about $370USD and the ES-300W I would have to order from Amazon, but this doesn't phase me too much.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. playtech1 macrumors member

I use a Doxie, which is in no way a fancy scanner, but is very quick and easy to use for low volume scanning.

For high volume scanning it would be terrible as there is no sheet feeder or duplex.

3. dwig macrumors 6502

I rather like the EPSON Workforce DS-5xx series scanners. My wife & I have one at home (a USB + WiFi version) and we have another (USB only) version where I work. These are fast, scan both sides a once, and have a good sheet feeder with a nearly straight feed path. The open very very easily for cleaning. Jams are rare but are easily cleared.

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

I'd stick with the ScanSnap, which is what I use. I checked out the wired/wireless Epson and wasn't impressed with the cheap build quality - I returned the one I bought when it died after about a week and seeing most of the 4/5-star reviews on Amazon US were Vine reviewers that had free units (and there aren't any more new, unpaid reviews since the last Vine review before Amazon cut that program off at the knees…). I bought a second S1300i for the office…

5. waloshin macrumors 68040