Dedicated graphics 15" rMBP not displaying the right graphics info

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Warrenpfo, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Warrenpfo macrumors newbie

I walked out of Storm front having parted with just over £2400 for my mac book pro and apple care last night having thought i bought the dedicated graphics card variant.

On opening "About this mac" it only shows Intel Iris pro 1024 MB under graphics. On calling stormfront they asked me for the serial number and to check under the energy saver page and having confirmed I have the option to check/uncheck Automatic Graphics switching they said i have the right machine but did not know why it was showing only 1024MB.

Now I am no expert so just wanted to make sure I was not on my own and getting the wool pulled over me.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Open up the System Information and see what it says for Graphics/Design. Do 2 GPUs show up?

My 2012 rMBP shows this:

[​IMG]

To access the System Report either click on Apple Menu>About this Mac>More Info>System Info

or
    Navigate to Applications>Utilities

3. D A macrumors regular

The 750M has 2GB of memory, not the Iris Pro which only has 1 GB.

4. Warrenpfo, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

Warrenpfo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep its showing two graphics cards....thanks, I had my doubts but you have helped confirm I have the right machine.

Any reason/guess it only comes up as Iris Pro and 1024MB everywhere else?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Jaben3421 macrumors regular

Because it has graphics switching. To conserve energy, when you're not doing something that really needs a dGPU it goes to integrated. Once you plug in to an external monitor or open up photoshop and other software, it will switch to the dGPU. Because you're not doing much, you're seeing the integrated Iris Pro. It's very normal, and actually quite useful for conserving battery power.