Dedicated Graphics for Long Term Dev Machine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weizilla, Sep 29, 2016.

1. weizilla macrumors regular

I'm plan on a new 15" MBP as soon as it comes out but I need help deciding if I should get dedicated graphics or just use the integrated one. Obviously, it's not released yet so there aren't any benchmarks but let's assume that the new MBP will have graphics that's a generation or two faster than the currently one.

I will use the machine for primarily for software dev, running multiple VMs and app servers. No games, video editing or photoshop. It will also be driving a 27" 1440p display.

Since I don't do any photo/video editing or games, integrated graphics should be good enough but I'm worried about long term capability. I intend on using this computer for the next 6-8 years so would dedicated graphics be better long term? Especially as 4k monitors become more common?

2. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'd not plan on any laptop being relevant in 6 or 8 years to either you or Apple and since xcode is tied to Apple I'd make other plans.

No you don't need a dGPU for coding, no it won't add to longevity, and no Apple won't support it longer because it has one.

3. jerryk macrumors 68020

I went for the dGPU in my 2015 rMBP 15 to drive external monitors. I do development and like to have at least 2-24 inch monitors. Right now I don't use 4K, but did not want to be stuck in the future.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The igpu's run 4K fine.

OP if you have a dGPU then they are always running when an external screen is connected on current rMBP's, so it runs a bit hotter and can impact longevity.

As others say above never expect any laptop to last 7-8 years they are just not that reliable yet, they can and often do of course but you can't expect it,5 years for laptop is all you can reasonably expect with 6-7 for a desktop.

5. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

I don't see a need for one. Even if you wanted to do a little graphic work here and there, the iGPU would be just fine.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Get the iGPU equipped model. Why spend more money on a configuration that you won't be taking advantage of. Plus consider Apple's track record with the dGPU and the iGPU should give you more peace of mind :)

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

If you are waiting for the apparent new rMBP with TB3, then you could theoretically upgrade to an eGPU in the future anyway. TB2 in the current rMBP can do this as well, though it has limited support compared with Intel touting eGPU in TB3.

8. leman macrumors 604

If you are not developing games or other apps that require a fast GPU, then the integrated graphics will be more then sufficient for you.

9. jerryk macrumors 68020

So you can run 4K monitors at 60 Hz with the iGPU? From the Apple documentation I got that it would not work. You were restricted to one monitor or slower refresh rates.

10. azpekt macrumors regular

no, you don`t need dGPU
    even more, i`d rather stay away from them, as a lot of them are prone to failure even nowadays (i`m among one with faulty r370x)

11. CYB3RBYTE macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

I've had my 2015 rMBP 15" with the M370X for at least four months now, and I can guarantee that it's working just fine. I've not been light on my machine either. I've played BF4 on it with no issues, hooked up to a 1080p monitor. I have applecare just incase the dGPU ever decides to walk out on me like my girlfriend did. Any who, I sprung for the dGPU because I do a lot of photography work and I knew it would be beneficial to me in the long run.

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

4 months isn't really a long term test

13. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep from apples website

• Dual display and video mirroring: simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840x2160 pixels on up to two external displays, both at millions of colours.
    Thunderbolt digital video output
    • Native Mini DisplayPort output
    • DVI, VGA, dual-link DVI and HDMI output supported using Mini DisplayPort adapters (sold separately)
    • Support for up to 5120x2880 resolution at 60Hz on a single external display (model with AMD Radeon R9 M370X only)
    The dGPU can run 1 5k at 60hz now that's impressive.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, it took longer time for the 2011 dGPUs to start failing, but with that said, 2012 and beyond seems solid, so what ever was causing the 2011 models to fail, Apple was able to correct it. I'd still avoid it, and given the OP's need I don't a dGPU is called for.

15. CYB3RBYTE macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

Well when I play BF4 on it every day for at least an hour or two with the fans running full blast, it kinda is. So far it's been passing the test with flying colors.

16. weizilla thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like integrated graphics is the way to go

My late 2008 13" Macbook is 8 years old and still working somehow o_O I did have to replace the battery, add in a SSD and upgrade to 4GB of ram. I can only do simple dev on there but it allows me to surf the web and write emails just fine!