dedicated graphics ram + shared?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lokrado, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Lokrado macrumors regular

okay so i got my MBP 17" early 2008, my problem is i drain my graphics card too much, the gddr3 is simply full... so i was wondering if there was a way to set up like additionally 512mb of shared ram, so my graphics would get 1gb avilable..
    i can do that on a pc couse the bios' are that much less advanced, but on a mac i'm pretty much blank
    any ide how to do this?:apple:

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

There's a BIOS setting for that? My rig doesn't have one. How exactly do you think you are filling it up? The 9600M is not that powerful of card. It would struggle to max out 512MB without running out of steam itself.

3. Lokrado thread starter macrumors regular

lkj

i have the early 2008 mbp:apple:
    it only has the 8400 gt...
    well basicly its lagging when i play games at max resolution and settings :)

4. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Actually, it's an 8600M GT with 256MB or 512MB of GDDR3, depending on the model. Unlike onboard graphics systems that use main memory, or the pool you could set aside for older cards that used the AGP interface, your MacBook Pro's video card has discrete memory which is the only memory with which the graphics chip can talk directly. The problem isn't memory, it's the limited capabilities of the graphics chip.

5. Lokrado thread starter macrumors regular

bahh

so basicly there isn't anything i can do?
    but if the chip is too slow is it then possible to share some of the cpu for graphics? like apple did (vise versa) with snow leopard?
    Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB
    and yeap you were right :D

yeah you can do this on most pcs, it however most often require a bios update.

6. oculus42 macrumors 6502

This setting is only available if you have a video card that uses a Shared Memory Architecture. These are mostly onboard or low-end graphics cards. If you have a high-end desktop card, this is not an option. I have a 7800 GT 512 in the Athlon 64 X2 PC on my desk and a 9800 GTX 768 in my home PC (which I coincidentally brought in to work today) on a Core 2 Quad PC. This post took me a while because I confirmed neither of these computers offer the feature of which you speak in their BIOS.

7. Lokrado thread starter macrumors regular

Ugh

im not sure why you cant, there could be many reasons I supose, I don't know much about it. I did it on my dad's laptop and 2 of my friends, but all of those had semi-low end. graphics. (I guess it might just be by chance those 3 I tried it on had the option) I never tried it on a desktop either.

8. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Almost all low-end laptops (and plenty of mid-range ones) use integrated video with SMA, which would allow you to choose how much memory you give to the video card. If you check those laptops they almost certainly use an integrated graphics system with Shared Memory Architecture. With SMA, whatever memory you allocate to the graphics system is taken away from the main memory available to the operating system, which you can verify easily enough.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod