Dedicated graphics?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DudeMartin, Jan 5, 2011.

1. DudeMartin macrumors regular

Hey!

I'm sure this question has been brought up in the mess of these "2011 MacBook refresh posts," but I figured I would make a whole thread to it, because I'm sure that I, just like a lot of other people, are worried about the fate of the graphics within the (particularly) 13" MBP. From various benchmarks, the integrated graphics on the Sandy Bridge chip perform slightly better on low graphics, and worse on medium graphics, which to be honest, tells me that the 320M is more powerful. But, with the graphic processor and CPU being on the same chip (Sandy Bridge), it would open up some space for perhaps ... dedicated graphics?

Do you guys think that it will be likely that Apple will add dedicated graphics to their next MacBook (Pro) refresh, on top of those within Sandy Bridge (because I think most of us have established that Apple is adopting the new Sandy Bridge chips)?

2. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

3. DudeMartin thread starter macrumors regular

I think it makes the product look less user-friendly without some sort of a DVD-drive, and that is against what Apple is striving for, so I don't think the optical drive is getting removed.

4. un.titled macrumors regular

It got booted from the MBA.

With the opening of the App store and iTunes already kicking along, I see no point to having an optical drive. If it really is that large of an issue, an external is a very easy solution.

Technology dies and something better always replaces it. You should be ashamed if you still have floppy disks laying around. :cool:

5. DudeMartin thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Vintage storage :D

6. seek3r macrumors 6502

I still need to boot old servers from floppy or update BIOSes occasionally. Hell, I still have 5.25 disks and drives lying around :)

You can take my floppies when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers! :p