Dedicated Icon for Stacks?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Snowy_River, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Does anyone have an idea if it's possible to have a dedicated icon for a stack? I have several in my Dock, and they're hard to tell apart. In Tiger, they linked to folders and took the icons of the folders (which I created, custom), so I could tell them apart at a glance.

Any help?

2. MAW macrumors regular

3. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

cubbie5150

To show an icon of your choice at all times, what you can do is (1) place a copy of the icon you want showing in the dock into the target folder; (2) rename the icon ot "0" (zero w/out the quotes); and (3) choose to sort stacks by name... Voila!! Your icon will always show even w/ items in your folder..

4. Snowy_River thread starter macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Huh. How irritating.

Well, I've got a work around. I just put a copy of the folder (with the custom icon) in the folder, and named it '0'. With such a name, it will, in general, be the first item in the stack when sorted by name. Thus, it's the first icon on the stack. Not quite as clean as the old way, but at least my identifying icons are at the forefront, so I can really see them.

In any event, thanks for the link.

Edit:
    Hey, Cubbie, we stumbled upon the same work around... ;)

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

While that is a workaround, I barely call it acceptable. As soon as Unsanity's Fruit Menu goes 10.5 compatible I will use that to regain nested folders from the Apple Menu with hard drive, home, applications and other folder access, though hopefully Apple will either give the option for nested vs. stacks, fix the icon issue, or at least for nested, or someone will come out with a third party dock control that fixes the bugs that Apple created.

6. Snowy_River thread starter macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Yeah, it's on the tolerable side, but, as you say, barely. I got quite used to right clicking my docked folders to get access to contents and nested navigation. I, too, hope that some means of recaptured comes about. Until then, I'll deal with things the way they are...