Dedicated lid-closed solution?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sesshi, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'd like to save me time and effort in making a solution myself - but I need something which doesn't take up a lot of additional space. I'd like a Macbook Pro + ACD to act like an iMac in terms of the desk space it takes up. I need access to the machine to take out the cable and also to open it up so that I can switch it on, but in other situations it can be out of the way. Perhaps something that stores the MBP behind or under the ACD.

Is there anything like that on the market?

2. 119576 Guest

3. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Yeah - that would be the uber-simple option, but fiddly as you'd have to presumably take it out and switch it on.

4. 119576 Guest

Good point. I tend to leave my laptop on all the time (just put it to sleep).

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Well You can't have it all now can you?

6. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Perhaps you're used to that, being a Apple 'main machine' owner.

But on the other hand I'm not really about compromises. What I'd ideally like is some sort of arrangement like the HP/Dell/Lenovo/Sony docks which have a power switch on the dock itself - since that's not available, I'm looking at an out-of-the-way mounting option which still allows me access to the power switch.

7. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I think you're going to be disappointed - how would you propose a solution allowing you access to your MBP's power button?

Keeping it (a) out of the way, and (b) open, at the same time, isn't going to be easy. Unless you can find an updated tingy similar to this one.

I know there are some keyboards out there with power buttons that work, but it'd be a hit and miss trial thing. Does the ACD power button not power on the MBP? Have you tried it?

I know it certainly did when you used PowerBooks in lid closed mode. If the PB had it's lid shut, AC power connected, and a keyboard and mouse plugged in, the thing would boot using the ACD's power button.