dedicated mac gaming machine

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rph105, Dec 16, 2007.

1. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

ok, so I want to buy a new mac, considering a mini if they update it in January, why I want to do is put all the major emulators on there and jam pack it with Roms, I'm talking about nes, snes, megadrive, and n64, I've got all the USB pads for each console so I'm thinking about creating a dedicated emulator box, will the current mac mini be enough to power the n64 games?

Anyways I'm thinking about customizing all my icons for Example turning the trash icon icon into a green pipe, putting on a nice gaming wallpaper, and assigning the game cover to each rom so I can flick through the library of games, u get my drift.

Any other ideas, will the mac mini be fast enough? Will post photos after everything us set up

2. Matiek macrumors member

it will easily e fast enough. It doesn't have a fancy video card or anything like that but the processor will have no problem handling those on it's own. The n64 was made, what like 10 years ago? We've come along way since then.

3. rph105 thread starter macrumors 6502

rph105

thats great, i think im gonna wait till january for the updated mini to be released

4. 7031 macrumors 6502

Are you sure? I ran an N64 emulator on my Mac Mini and it pretty much killed it. Had to hard reset because it lacked any power to close it. (G4 Mini though).

It runs fine on my iMac though.

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Any intel mini will run N64 games. And there's not going to be a mini update, they were just updated.

6. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

define "just updated"

7. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Well, according to the Buyer's Guide it was 131 days ago that the Mini got Core 2 Duo processors. I'll admit that that is quite a while, nearing the average actually for Mini updates, but look at the last time lag, much longer.

In addition, what is there to update on the Mini. It has been established that the Mini is going to remain at least one generation behind everything else, meaning there is really nothing to change. Especially since some of the most recent news is that the Mini may be discontinued.

The Mini is a basic machine, what updates do you want to see?

8. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

On the grand Mac timeline, Mac Minis are one of the most recent updates. We'll see new Mac Pros, MacBook Pros, Cinema Displays, iPhones and :apple:tvs before we see a new Mac Mini. (unless they decide to converge :apple:tv and Mac Mini, because they do the same thing)