dedicating a box to gaming

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ntvandyken, May 8, 2010.

1. ntvandyken macrumors newbie

how do people have a "gaming box" for windows?

are they using just a desktop as the mac as a monitor?

or do they have a little box with graphics cards and other hardware for gaming connected to the imac to use for gaming in windows?

im not well educated in this matter but seem to have trouble finding help in the search engine. (even google)

maybe because i use a slang word as "game box" to help research the issue.

any advice would be appreciated.

what i would like to do is hook up a box with graphics hardware for windows gaming and connect it to my 27" imac (i7 processor)

i have no clue if its possible, but would be nice to spend around $800 dollars on the top of the line hardware for gaming but still use baseline hardware (hard drive, processor, other misc. hardware for opperating a OS) through the mac and use the other hardware through bootcamp. Any links or articles on any ot=f these options would be very helpful

thankyou for your time

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can't use both, PC and iMac at the same time. If consoles are okay, grab a PS3/X360 and use it for gaming. I'm not sure how PC to iMac works but you need a GPU with (Mini) DisplayPort to get native res I think. If you want component recommendations, let me know, for 800$ you can get very nice one

3. ntvandyken thread starter macrumors newbie

well i got the imac for the all in one use, im in the military so i need the mobility of my entertainment center.

am sorta biting my boot for the some what lack of gaming performance (still enough to enjoy but for $2500 y not enjoy it all?!)

the imac does have a mini display port for the HD 27" screen.

but when people talk of these game boxes, whats the diffrence between a "game box" and buying a desktop PC?

little confussed with the terms im guessing.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Game box or rig is usually a custom (self built) PC, so just a normal desktop PC. You can get a PC that is little bit bigger than Mini but with a LOT better specs, tell me if you're interested

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

There is semantically no difference between a "PC" and a "game box."

Although, a "game box" can be built (or bought) with the express purpose of gaming. So certain components will be sought, like a high end graphics card, etc.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

7. ntvandyken thread starter macrumors newbie

(cough) very interested in a "rig"

but what are the limitations of a rig over a desktop?

also, i want to use my monitor on the imac, that has to be a must.

but very interested, tell me more please :)

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

rig = desktop, just a name that people calls it

Motherboard - 80$
    Case - 100$
    Processor - 200$
    Memory - 105$
    Video card - 310$
    Hard drive - 70$
    DVD drive - 40$

Total: 905$$ (You could use ATI 5770 instead too, it's half the price)

That's small, portable version. If you don't need that small, I recommend getting a full tower, then you can overclock etc

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That box can take up to 9.5" GPUs and that is 9.5". I've built several PCs with that case and GPU and they work okay but I still recommend the 5770 as fans run pretty loud when gaming and 300W PSU isn't the best one for 58xx

EDIT: That case ain't available yet... 5970 is bigger than 5850 too

11. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I would not build such a "rig." Even if fits, it isn't a good idea. My next comment was going to be on the PSU.

I know it isn't available, since Newegg didn't provide the card length I wasn't sure how long it was. Even so, it would be a tight fit. My inclusion of the link was to show how much of a tight fit such a setup would be.

Can you provide pictures of your builds with this combination?

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Don't forget Windows 7, roughly $100 I believe?

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Mini-ITX setups are always tight but they work well though. ATI 5770 fits well and has no issues, some 58xx fits but PSU is limiting quite a lot and fans run pretty loud. If OP is okay with normal ATX, then he should get one. Mini-ITXs are pretty popular as LAN-party boxes as they are portable.

I don't take pics at work so don't have any :( ATI 4850 and 5770 fit well though, I can show you pics if you want

EDIT: By changing the PSU to this, 5850 works without issues as long as it's 9.5"

Yeah, 99$ for 64-bit Home Premium OEM