Resolved Deep Freeze for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by camelia, May 26, 2015.

1. camelia, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016

camelia macrumors regular

camelia

2. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

I've not used it, but if I understand you correctly, you want the Mac to be returned to its original state every time it's rebooted. If I understand correctly, why no use a Guest account and configure it as required using OS X Server's workgroup manager?

3. camelia thread starter macrumors regular

camelia

Yup, I would like my MBP returns to be returned to its original state every time it's rebooted, because some member of my family know the password.

My mom knows it because when I am late she can find out where I am. :(
    My younger brother loves to play games he doesn't have in his PC, but this little boy makes a mess everytime he use it.

I do understand about use a Guest account but I don't have an idea about configure it as required using OS X Server workgroup manager (I am a newbie Mac User) :oops:

So, if someone can explain me step by step or provide a tutorial about how to configure the OS X Server workgroup manager, I will be more than happy :cool:

Thanks
    Camelia

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Best solution is to change your password so only you know it. Then create user accounts for your brother and mother that do not have admin authority. How does your mother use it to find out where you are?

Go into System Preferences->Users & Groups. Click on the + to add a user. Give them a name and password. Make sure Allow user to administer this computer is NOT checked.

5. camelia thread starter macrumors regular

camelia

> How does your mother use it to find out where you are?
    she uses find my Mac :(, and where my MBP is I am also :p

> Then create user accounts for your brother and mother that do not have admin authority
    I know how to create User Accounts. :cool:
    For my mom it is ok, but I dont think it will be a good idea for my younger brother, Long History...

My brother borrow from my mom her credit card with her knowledge to buy games, I dont know if he can change the password of his account, so my mom will be unable to track how much he is spending.. you know kids :rolleyes:

Any other idea?

Thanks in advace for any help you can provide me
    Camelia

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

My wife & I have family sharing turned on which allows each of us to see where the other persons devices are. That may be an option in your case.

For your brother I'm not sure what the best option is if having him use a restricted account won't do the job. I have an old Mac Mini setup for anyone to use if needed. The guest account on it resets itself when someone logs off. Everybody always starts with a clean slate and can't really do anything to access other accounts.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Set parental controls on his account.

8. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

I would sooner share a toothbrush than a computer.

9. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

Heh heh! ;-)

It does seem like multiple accounts are the best solution here. Normal ones for everyone except your brother, who gets a guest account - or one with parental controls.

I think tracking your brother's spending is a non-IT issue. I know in the UK you can get prepaid cards* - maybe that would be a better idea? Your Mum can top it up for your brother as and when she sees fit, and when it's gone, it's gone. Letting a minor loose with a credit card seems to be a recipe for disaster to me!

Hope that's of some help.

* For example: http://www.mastercard.co.uk/prepaid-card.html

10. camelia thread starter macrumors regular

camelia

Lol

Oh! you gave us a very good idea

iTunes Gift Cards/iTunes Prepaid Card or a Debit card for kids :) we have these products in Mexico City

Thank you very much in advance
    Camelia