Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Ruston, Louisiana
Has anyone purchased this utiltiy, and if so is it worth the money?
I use Onyx right now, but from what I've read this would be an automatic thing that wouldn't require a restart. I always run onyx maintenance and cleaning before I play a game, and restarting the computer can take a lot of patience.

ManchesterTrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
I don't quite understand, what do you want to use Deep Freeze for? Deep Freeze restores your computer to an unaltered state between logins and restarts.

onthat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Ruston, Louisiana
maybe I don't understand something about it's purpose, I assume that it does the same thing as onyx...clearing things out and restoring permissions, just instead of me having to do it manually...it would do it at startup.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
No, Deep Freeze essentially wipes the drive and restores it to some default setting between logins. This means it destroys any user changes that have been made, preferences, installs, saved documents ect. It's only intent is to be used in a computer lab so that no matter what the user does to it it will be a fresh system for the next user.

Think of it this way, it essentially re-images the machine at every logout.

ManchesterTrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
yippy said:
No, Deep Freeze essentially wipes the drive and restores it to some default setting between logins. This means it destroys any user changes that have been made, preferences, installs, saved documents ect. It's only intent is to be used in a computer lab so that no matter what the user does to it it will be a fresh system for the next user.

Think of it this way, it essentially re-images the machine at every logout.

Now I haven't seen the new Deep Freeze for the Mac, but the first version I saw essentially just wiped specified user accounts and restored them from a default, is it now more like the Windows version where it restores the entire Hard drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.