Deep screen scratch "repair" on ipod touch 4g

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chris7777, Jan 19, 2011.

1. chris7777 macrumors 6502

So I ended up trading a game system for the new ipod touch and 2 days after opening it, It slips out of my hands and falls to the floor. After recovering from the shock that my screen is not cracked, I soon discover it has a pretty deep gouge, that is bad enough to cause a "rainbow" like distortion (like water or something)

It's way too deep to even think of buffing. So I figure at best I may be able to use a screen protector to minimize the distortion( I hope)
    But any other ideas I'm willing to look at as well.

Any suggestions at all?

I had hesitated because of all the videos and stuff but I drop the thing one time and its scarred.

thanks

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

screen protector isn't going to fix anything, it'll make it worse.

3. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

Nope. Don't try to replace the screen either. The LCD is laminated to the glass.

BUY A CASE!

Screen protector will not work.

4. samh macrumors 6502

I had an iPod Touch 2G that ended up with 2 scratches on the front. I wouldn't have described them as deep, but they did cause that rainbow/prism effect. In my case, a screen protector essentially hid them from view (I used a Zagg). That was an unintended side effect, but a very nice one.

5. chris7777 thread starter macrumors 6502

I will probably at least try a screen protector. I have heard and had some success with other devices with light scratches, But with this one being like a gouge, its had me wondering. If someone had tracked somethign super hard i into the house.

6. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

What does a case have to do with this?

7. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

So he doesn't drop it again? lol

8. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

It absorbs shock;
    It's harder to drop;
    Most cases have a little border going around the outside of the screen, that will raise the screen off a surface if it's dropped;
    Keeps it scratch free;
    Protects it...

I think if you had though on it you probably could have answered tis questoin yourself.

9. brecklundin macrumors newbie

What about trying one of those windshield repair guys?

I know it would merely be a cosmetic repair but if there is no chance of further damaging the functionality of the screen those guys do amazing work on scratched, cracked or otherwise damaged windshields.

My concern is the repair materials, do they generate any heat while curing which could potentially damage the capacitive touch portion of the device?

I assume such a repair would be purely cosmetic leaving a sort of dead spot on the screen for the touch control but then again I just bought my first ever Apple device, and I started in the IT world back in...awwwwkkkk, 1977!! That means I am older than I used-ta-wuz. But boy to I LOVE this new Touch and that fantastic Retina display.

If the gouge does bother you it might be worth asking a glazer (glass guy) who specializes in repairs. Who knows they might do it for free in order to potentially add a new service to their brag sheet. But be sure there won't be further damage to how the screen functions now. I know might be tempted if it was really obvious. If for no other reason than I don't need to be reminded how stoopid I can be at times! ;)

BTW, I believe this was my first post ever here...so if I screwed something up...rookie error, but done out of enthusiasm...and Tommy (Lasorda) was always in favor of errors of enthusiasm over errors of complacency or over-confidence. I'm tryin' coach!

10. chris7777 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its one of those messed up things, I m broke, but had had my xbox for sale to buy an iphone or an ipod, and then the bright idea dawned on me to ask about a trade, it wnet through, and. I just didn't have the money for a case (which I think would have at least provided a quarter inch or so protection so the screen didn'y hit face first) Plus a screen protetor(if it wont make visibility worse) ITs not that bad other than directly around the scratch so reading and stuff like that, plus I want to get a stylus to draw and the snag it now has will probably be annoying. But other than selling it, and considering I technically took a loss in the trade theres no telling how bad my resale has been hit.

I was looking at the back and I have all sorts of scratches I hgave ni clue where they came from other than my shirt pocket.

So I figure Im stuck with it regardless.

I just want to take care of it and prevent any further damage.

But yes lessons learned. get a case, and as I havd learned before on my palms get a screen protetor, a $20 piece of plastic is well worth preventing the permanent damage of a scratch, no matter how "resistant" the glass.

BTW any suggestions on the best screen protector to use? I have wondered if a wet apply, or something similarmight semi fill the recess, but I have no idea.

11. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

Some of the best screen protectors are made by powersupport.

12. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

But that is not what the OP is looking for. He wants a wet-apply screen protector to fill in the scratch. I would recommend BestSkinsEver. Their skins are just as good (if not better) than InvisibleShield by Zagg at half the price of InvisibleShield. They are effing amazing. I love their skins and have them on all of my devices.

13. GreyMatta macrumors regular

A windscreen repair will not work (I've been doing it for over 12 years)

the scratch will not be deep enough for the resin that is used to fill chips in laminated windscreens to stay in place on the screen.

and polishing out the scratch will only make it worse as it will just cause distortion where the glass is worn away to make it smooth.

I would try the screen protector idea