Deep Sleep Bug?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by KPOM, Jul 27, 2011.

1. KPOM macrumors G5

I notice that my MacBook Air seems to be losing a little more power than normal in deep sleep mode. I had it off for about 12 hours today and it dropped from 98 to 95. On my 2010 that's what it would lose during a full 24 hours. It isn't much, but it does seem that it would be a stretch to last 30 days (not that I plan to test that out). Also, it takes a few seconds longer to wake from deep sleep than my 2010.

Of course, since multiple variables changed, I don't know if it's a Lion thing, an encryption thing, or a 2011 MacBook Air thing. It's a minor thing, but hopefully it gets fixed. Do you have any observations about this from your 2011s?

2. kevin222 macrumors member

I've been noticing roughly the same decrease you mentioned (maybe even 1-2% more). I came from a macbook pro and was expecting to see less loss of battery when on standby...

3. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

I'm guessing it's a firmware thing. My 2010 definitely lost less power. Lion is new, and so is this MacBook Air. There were several firmware updates to the 2010 models, and this one is likely to be similar.

4. kevin222 macrumors member

That's what I was figuring, too. I guess we just wait and see....

5. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

Yeah hope it gets fixed soon, it seems to be losing way too much power for what was advertised.

6. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Ditto here. Sometimes overnight, it loses as much as 4-5%. Not sure what the deal is.

EDIT: Well, today it's been asleep for at least 18 hours... and it lost only 3%, which isn't bad actually. Don't know... maybe it's because these are its first few cycles?

7. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

Something else I noticed is that it sometimes "forgets" that my wi-fi network is preferred when it wakes from deep sleep (meaning I need to select it from the list that pops up). From regular sleep it usually doesn't and actually connects quicker than my 2010 model did.

8. kelhart macrumors newbie

9. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

One suggestion that came through the Apple Support boards:

Turn the screen saver time to exceed the time to go to sleep. The poster said that it now takes 4 seconds to wake up, which was an improvement.