Deep Sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by atad6, May 2, 2007.

1. atad6 macrumors regular

I don't know if this has been talked about before, but I found this program, Deep Sleep, that lets you put your mac to sleep without using any power. It just manually enables the same function that happens when your battery runs low or you need to change it. I installed it on my macbook pro and it seems like a much better alternative to shutting down my computer at night as with this it "boots" up much faster and all my programs that I use remain open.

I'm just wondering if there would be any problems with using this on a regular basis, since apple designed this functionality in osx to deal with low battery situations. I wouldn't think there would be seeing as it simply records the state of the ram to the hard drive, but I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this:

http://www.axoniclabs.com/DeepSleep/

2. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

The real question is why would you want to when you can just sleep the computer anyway? It uses very little power, and aren't you leaving it plugged in overnight? If it's not being used away from power, it should be plugged in and charging..better for the life of the battery.

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You can change the default behavior of sleep so it will always safe sleep (i.e. Hibernate) with a Terminal command.

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1

Change the value to 3 to restore to default, or 0 if you don't ever want to safe sleep.

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Thanks for the tip Kingjr! One question. If you change the setting in the command line, will this be reset after you zap the PRAM? I would test this but I'm not at my Mac right now... and I'd probably forget to test it when I get home.

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

not sure - I would guess no, since PRAM seems to store a lot less info nowadays.

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I gave the program a run a while back, and although I used it for a week, it got too tiresome waiting for it to work when I was leaving a lecture. The normal sleep mode works well enough for me :)

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the tip. i tried it, but it seemed a little tricky. i did it, then told the computer to sleep. it seemed like it did, but i couldn't get it out. then i pressed the power button, and the light went out. still couldn't get it back. then i pressed the power button again, and it finally came back

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

The only way to get your machine back from "hibernation" is the power button - it won't wake from a key press or mouse movement. Not sure why you had to hit it twice, though :confused:

9. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

I actually just added this feature to InsomniaX, and ive been using it recently and i must admit its great for saving power if you dont use the laptop much and it could go flat etc

10. Vercingetorix macrumors regular

I would have sworn that when I first got my Macbook Pro and was trying to figure out about sleep vs. hibernation mode, I ran across something that allowed you to put it to deep sleep with a simple keystroke -- something like holding down the option key while hitting the power or something. Now I can't find anything about it. Am I hallucinating?

(95% of the time regular sleep is fine with me, but occasionally I'd like it to completely hibernate -- when traveling, for example.)