Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xomissjaye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
East Coast
:rolleyes: I don't think there is any reason to believe she cannot afford the machine. She mentioned next to nothing about price except for that she wants to make an informed purchase since $2000 is quite an investment. I think you are being very presumptuous in reguards to her financial position and way too judgemental of those who responded with a seemingly genuine desire to help.

You are right, $2000 is a lot of money (especially for a college student), and rent, food, etc. should certainly be more of a priority than a computer. However, some people are in better financial situations than others and can afford both rent and a $2000 Mac. So while I believe your advice is sound for the majority of users, I did not feel that it was appropriate for this young lady nor do I feel it was warranted based on the information she provided.

@Jocelyn: If you need a computer going into the school year and can afford the new MBP then I reccomend you purchase now. You will have a beautiful machine that should last you 3-5 years without a problem. Good luck with your purchase.

I've been saving up for a Macbook pro since forever haha.

But nooo! Today I found out (as did everyone) That apple may offer the matte screens back... Would this even help me? Being an upcoming graphic designer? Is it worth waiting for and ditchin ipod? :/

UrFatMom

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Just bought one, and I can say it was worth it! Super nice macbook pro (13", base, upgraded to 4gb ram by myself). Arrandale is gonna be for my xMas iMac :)

pmcb

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
for what it's worth i love the glossy screen except in direct sun light, i'de say go for it and have no regrets! good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.