Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dudgeman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2020
Hi all,

I have a 2010 dual core mac mini which I have loved over the years. It only ever had 2Gb ram (2x1GB) but the hard drive is failing and so with a new ssd install imminent I thought I would upgrade the ram. I was going to go for 16gb but decided not to play with fire and went for 8gb (2x4gb). I did my research found some ram that fitted the bill on Ebay..contacted seller confirmed it would work...all good. It arrived today so I took the 2 1gb units out (earth strapped) and installed the new ram to be greeted by the 3 beeps 5 second 3 beeps routine on start up...

I tried re installing...same thing. I thought one of the new boards might be dodgy so I took one 4gb out and stuck one of the old 1 gb boards back in... lo and behold it booted up...showing 5gb of ram and absolutely flying compared to the old version....however; It will not take 2 4gb without giving me the 3 beeps etc..

So far I have tried both 4gb boards with one of the 1gb boards and they both work fine showing 5gb on start up. I have tried just booting with a single 4gb in bottom slot...didn't boot...put 4gb in top slot with 1 gb in bottom and boots fine showing 5 gb...I tried 4gb only in top slot..wont boot...can someone explain what is happening here.... so both new 4gb boards work in both slots as long as they are paired with an existing 1gb board but no matter what I do I can not get the 2 4gb boards to work together...

Many thanks
Carl

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Which CPU? Does it support 8gb of ram? I ask that as something tells me there was an issue with some Core2Duo's not accepting 8gb Ram, don't ask me to back that up though, It's just something in my mind :)

Last edited:

Dudgeman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2020
Hi
Pretty sure the CPU can run up to 16gb (its not official but apparently it can) .It seems that the seller has supplied me with pc3 12600 not 8500. Aparently this isnt a problem below 8gb as they can use slower speed but it seems that at 8gb or above I need 8500 specific ram. Can anyone confirm this is the case? Is there a work around to ebable me to use the faster RAM chipset so I dont have to send it back?? Failing that can anyone recommend a seller who can either supply me with either 2x 8gb or 2x 4gb ddr3 pc3 8500 1600 mhz Ram .....the seller is being really helpful but in these times I would rather avoid having to post stuff... ...thanks

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
hmm....
5GB is an improvement over the 2GB that you had.
But, you now have a wasted 4GB that you can't use.
The 1GB and 4GB probably work together by clocking the memory down to 1066 MHz.
The faster chips have some compatibility problem, and won't work if they are the only chip (or both 4GB installed), probably need to clock down, and the chip won't --- unless one of your older sticks is installed to pair. And that works because it successfully clocks down.
So, if you want more than 5GB, return the fast sticks and get the correct ones, listed in the post above.
(Now you have proved that "should work" does not always result in "will work" :cool:. )
Unfortunately, Macs are often known to be picky with RAM, and the result is that you might have to try a few before you find what DOES work, or you could try a known-good RAM maker, such as Crucial.

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
The nvidia chipset is flaky with faster ram, I remember the misery on my 2010 Macbook. :D
Depending on the RAM you have, you could maybe use thaiphoon burner to reprogram the speeds?

Dudgeman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2020
Hi thanks for your replies......Yes the seller said he has also done some research as he hadnt had this problem with these chipsets before in other macs (MBP Imac etc I guess) and realised that the chipset is effectively dumbing down the speed of the faster one to work with 8500 as it can adapt but as you said it seems that 2 chipsets at that speed cant be used together... As a noob to this I find it all very interesting but also quite complex....I am going to hang on to one of the chipsets ( It wasn't expensive) so I can use the increase in speed for now and the seller is going to look into whether he can source 8500 sets for me..In the meantime I am looking at some online, specifically crucial and OWC?

Do you think that if I were to buy a 4gb "correct" chipset it would work with the faster one that I have just bought or is it important to run the same manufacturer/ type/size in each slot....I have also read that Macs can be quirky when it comes to RAM...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.