Deeply Disturbing: Customer Misleading System Message about Parallels!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by crna brada, Oct 17, 2014.

1. crna brada macrumors newbie

I just did a CLEAN install of Yosemite on a Mac Pro 2013 - on a freshly FORMATTED drive, no recovery from Time Machine. Before I installed any virtualization software, I downloaded one Visio file and when I clicked on it, got the following message:

"Parallels Desktop was not found.
    Microsoft Visio requires Parallels Desktop to operate. Please install Parallels Desktop and try again."

Furthermore, Visio in Parallels is set as a default for opening any Visio file!

This is DEEPLY DISTURBING: it is an untrue, customer misleading message. Microsoft Visio can work in Fusion, VirtualBox, and Bootcamp too. But a lot of people that don't know might go and buy Parallels while they can use VirtualBox and Bootcamp without any additional charge or go for the other commercial product.

We should get clarifications from both Parallels and Apple!!!

Parallels has to explain how this message got into the cleanly installed system and does it have anything to do with the fact that more than a month ago I had Parallels 10 trial installed on this computer but later deleted both OS and Parallels trial, and formatted HD.

It appears that the Parallels trial does leave some mark since you cannot reinstall the trial on the same computer - even when you are within 7 days trial period. Does Parallels do more than we expect with our computers once we install their trial?

I would also expect Apple to protect customers from such abusive behaviour, and provide a method or a tool to remove this unwanted, malware like, setting from their systems.

2. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

Any external drives connected to your Mac?