Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Deezer Music has announced that its iOS app will be updated today with CarPlay support, making the streaming music service's full catalog of 35 million songs available through Apple's in-dash software platform. CarPlay support will be limited to Premium+ and Elite paid subscribers.

Deezer-1.jpg

Deezer on CarPlay allows subscribers to listen to their favorite songs, albums, artists and playlists, choose a Mix channel based on their mood, use Flow to discover new music and hear favorites, access music in offline mode and more. Flow can be intuitively improved by using the Like and Dislike buttons on CarPlay.

Deezer-CarPlay.jpg

CarPlay provides hands-free or eyes-free access to Maps, Phone, Messages, Music, Podcasts and other third-party apps including Spotify, Rdio, iHeartRadio, CBS Radio and MLB At Bat. The platform also uses Siri voice control and interfaces with your vehicle's knobs, dials and buttons for safer access to common iPhone features.

CarPlay is or will soon be available in a wide range of 2016 U.S. vehicles from Audi, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Ferrari, GMC, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi, Porsche, Volkswagen and Volvo. Apple lists over a dozen other committed CarPlay partners on its website.

The updated version of Deezer Music should be rolling out on the App Store later today. Deezer on CarPlay is compatible with iOS 7.1 and higher.

Article Link: Deezer Announces CarPlay Support Available Today for Paid Listeners

sampaul

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Philadelphia
Hopefully CarPlay gets an app to integrate audiobooks. Or is there already an app for that which I am not aware of?

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Phew, I was afraid I'd come in here to cheers from the masses. Looks like I'm not the only one wondering what a Deezer is...

ecopod

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
Now this is great news.

Deezer is superb (in my humble opinion) for many reasons but the number one reason is streaming FLAC quality music to Sonos speakers along with full Sonos functionality (no no no this isn't a hijack about Sonos but since I use those speakers etc etc). Wish Apple/Sonos had acted quicker to integrate Apple Music on Sonos but they didn't so I'm a Deezer man for now.

I'm also working on the old camper van this winter including updating the sounds so will now look out for compatible aftermarket CarPlay device.

By the way they do play on the word 'GEEZER' for their UK based adverts. Limited platform availability in US which most likely explains some of the early comments.

Good day indeed.

Reactions: 69Mustang

blodyholy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2012
Iowa
According to their website, the service is not currently available in the U.S. It might be worth noting in the article...

bpp85

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
Europe
According to their website, the service is not currently available in the U.S. It might be worth noting in the article...

Yeah..and for those wondering what deezer is, it's a French music streaming service. It's quite popular in Europe

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
This sponsored post brought to you by...a company no one has heard of.
A company with 10 million users that pioneered music streaming... Been using it since 2007 back when it was called Blogmuzik. They launched in the US this year by buying Cricket's Muve music customer base. They also bought Stitcher, who already had CarPlay integration.
The fact that it has not been very active in the US does not mean at all that 'no one has heard of it'. Typical self-centred comment from a basic American, like we unfortunately read much too often online...

dan110

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
'Merica
Has anyone else realized that they are trying to do to cars what we did to telephones? Essentially, make them more obsolete faster by putting in the iGadgetry in the dash. What will happen is that after four years or so, Apple wills top providing updates and the electronics will no longer function as well as it use to. Plus, if you look at automakers like Honda, they make it very difficult to changeout their stereos.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA

I have it in the U.S. through a deal with Bose. I think they have a couple other deals like that as well with other companies. It's a pretty good service and the first year was only $4.99 a month.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Has anyone else realized that they are trying to do to cars what we did to telephones? Essentially, make them more obsolete faster by putting in the iGadgetry in the dash. What will happen is that after four years or so, Apple wills top providing updates and the electronics will no longer function as well as it use to. Plus, if you look at automakers like Honda, they make it very difficult to changeout their stereos.

Err, you realise that CarPlay runs on the phone, right? Not on the dashboard.

The dash just provides a screen to display the interface and a touchscreen/interface for physical buttons and inputs like the mic and the speakers.

So no, Apple won't "stop providing updates" because the Carplay function is built into the phone. If you get a new phone and attach it to a Carplay system then that version of the software will run because it's running *on the phone*.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.