Default application difficulties

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Verdanice, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Verdanice macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm a new-ish Mac user in that I've been using them for a couple years at work but picked up my first Macbook Pro 15"/SR 2.4/2GB a couple weeks ago.

The only real problem I've been having is with file type associations. As far as I can tell, the way to change an association with a file type s the same as in windows, more or less: right click, open with, other, select, and check always open with'. However, it seems that only affect that single file (it's the only icon that changes even if there are a bunch of files of the same type in that folder). It happens with PHP files, but also with Torrents. I have the mysterious Opera ghost from Adobe, and my torrents constantly open in it. I've tried changing it to transmission, but again, it only affects that singe file.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Select a file of the type you want to change. Then right-click, select "Get Info". Under the Open with: section, select the app you want associated with that type of file, then click the Change All... button.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There's a fundamental difference in the way Mac OS X handles file associations from Windows. Windows uses a per-extension model, whereas Mac OS X uses a per-file model. Therefore, you have to click Change All after you change the file association, if you want that change to affect all files of that type. For some reason the Always Open With checkbox doesn't do the trick, but clicking Change All in the Get Info box does.

4. Verdanice thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, both of you - that did it. Now if only I could get rid of Oper all altogether with CS3 intact.

:)