Default Application

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Applehead2011, May 15, 2011.

1. Applehead2011 macrumors newbie

Hi ~
    I've had my MAC laptop for awhile and primarily use it to surf the web. I'm trying to get better acquainted with it and ran into a problem trying to install and use software.

I have a scanner, CanoScan LIDE 20, and I threw the installation cd away by accident. So I downloaded the software from Cannon. I'm confused! I think I installed it under "applications". I do see the scangear listed and attached the scanner to try and use it. I'm getting a message that states there is no default application to open one of the files. I'm not even sure how to open the file.

Usually I just click on the app and it opens but not this one. Can someone walk me through this? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You
    Barbara

2. iMAVERICKam macrumors member

Use Finder's Get Info on the file it created, post the General > Kind type and Name & Extension values here.

You don't actually have to post the name of the file, just the .extension part.

3. Applehead2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

You lost me? It appears the software downloaded 6 files and when I try and open the individual file it states there is no "default application" to open it? Why isn't it just opening like the other apps?

Barbara

4. simsaladimbamba, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011

simsaladimbamba

5. Applehead2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi ~
    Ii really appreciate your help but this is not working. I am working with a Mac OS X 10.4..11. When I go up to file and hit "open with" I see the app Lido20/Lido30 on the left column under Macintosh HD. When I click on that there are several files. When I select one file or "any" of the file and right click "nothing happens"?

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What do you mean "nothing happens"? You are not going to get fireworks and 21-gun salute. All that happens is that your file is associated with the application.

7. Applehead2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Really!! And no Bombay Gin Martini to go with it ;-) I've frustrated myself enough with this today. Another day another try. I don't think it's that simple, I think there is more too it and I'm missing it.

8. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Is the software availible to public via their website? I mean can you post link to it so others here can test it out to see what issue may be. Like trying to replicate it so they can help.

9. iMAVERICKam macrumors member

I was asking you to tell us what type of file it is so that we can help you find the right application to assign to open the files it created.

So, again:

Use Finder's Get Info on the file it created, post the General > Kind type and Name & Extension values here.

You don't actually have to post the name of the file, just the .extension part.