Default applications for filetypes

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Dal123, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I changed .pdf's to open with acrobat professional. Only printing is poor from acrobat so easier to print from preview.
    I performed normal steps,
    'ctrl click document' > 'open with' > 'other' > 'select application' then always 'open with'.
    So that should be it, but it's not working. Each time I go to open another .pdf it opens with acrobat :mad:.

2. GGJstudios, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Select the file
    Right-click and "Get Info" (or Command-i)
    Select the preferred app under "Open with"
    Click "Change All"

3. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Right-click on another .pdf file and Get Info. Is the correct app listed under "Open with"? If so, try restarting your system. If not, repeat the steps. If that still doesn't work, try repairing permissions, then repeat the steps.

5. Dal123, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011

Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Thanks; when selecting Get Info, it's only working on that individual file. I've got thousands of .pdf's that I want to open with preview - not acrobat as printing is so poor from acrobat and prefer intuitiveness of preview.

Ok so I repaired permissions and restarted and tried everything again. Still .pdf's are opening in default application (acrobat). How do I change the actual default application. It used to be these steps in previous operating systems, but obviously in Lion it has changed. Does anyone know where default app's are chosen?

Bit worried about this; this used to be easy to fix in previous os's.:(

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's why you click "Change All" after selecting the default application. That changes the default app for all files of that type.
    It works exactly the same way in Lion as in previous versions of Mac OS X. Be sure you click "Change All" after selecting the default application.

7. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

9. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Yes, the database is where the choices are kept. If the choices don't stick, the database is likely where the problem lies.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They didn't ask where they're stored. They asked where they're chosen. If the choices don't stick, repairing permissions is a better approach than having someone play around with the launch services database files.

11. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

I am pleased to learn that you think so. However, the Launch Services Database does get buggered up upon occasion. If that's the case here, no amount of repetition of your 'better approach' will fix the problem.
    Sometimes fixing something requires a screwdriver, sometimes a bandsaw.
    It doesn't help the person with the problem if you fail to mention that a bandsaw might be needed.

12. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Thanks, always select 'always open with' so the problem is further down the line.
    Looked at link, cannot see how to launch apple services. It looks like applescript to me. Cannot find any tutorials.
    Suprised this is happening. Brand new mac, three weeks old.:(

13. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Defaults apps are generally registered with LaunchServices. That is how they initially get configured outside of Apple's defaults. That is where they are initially "chosen." Beyond that, the user can as pointed, change them.

Repair permissions?

Haha again, Repair permissions? Christ. That would not fix a damn thing.

OP, since you said it a few weeks old you probably won't lose much by resetting launch services. I would recommend using a tool instead of futzing around in terminal.

http://jimmitchell.org/yasu/

http://www.maintain.se/cocktail

Both of those apps can help you do this.

14. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Thanks for them recommendations. I'm a little dubious about buying an app just for sorting out this small problem.
    Unless the app is really useful. Would you really say it is worth the money. If not what do I need to type in terminal to sort this out. I've just started learning a little terminal and am keen to learn unless it is crazy hard?

15. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

16. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Thanks Calderone; I used cocktail to rebuild launch database.
    Nice one.:)