Default Apps (Safari, Mail, Maps, etc) in App Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ParishYoung, Jan 31, 2009.

1. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

Hey,

Does anyone else think Apple should put the default Apps in the App Store.

Initially this sounds daft, I'm sure, but if they did it this way then when they want to update say Safari then they wouldn't need to release a brand new firmware like they did this week.

They could just pop a smaller update on the AppStore and every iPhone user is alerted next time they sync, or read MacRumors.

Just a thought.

PS
    I do realise that they do it the current way to hide their "fix's" for the DevTeam's handy work, oh and occasionally release new (but never really requested) features.

2. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Not a bad idea actually. Probably see a lot more frequent updates.

I'm down.

3. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

But the fixes are usually to webkit.

And webkit is an OS thing and would not be suited for downloading from the app store.

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You're correct.

5. Acronym macrumors 68000

not to mention that if apple did it that way they would be forgoing the option to change baseband causing jailbreak programs to stop working.

i think apple would rather do a whole firmware update and "combat" jailbreaking then aloow millions of people to get these upgrades and still be jailbroken.

it is a good idea though if it were possible i would definately go that route.

6. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Nice thinking. It would be nice to add landscape sms through an appstore update instead of a software update.

7. ParishYoung thread starter macrumors 6502a

The only slight tweak I can think of right now that I would like to the default Apps is to have "Week View" in the calendar, and I think that it would fit perfectly in Landscape more.

Would be a waste to have to add a whole new firmware just for these tweaks.

PS
    I've added both these suggestions to the Apple iPhone Feedback site already.

8. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

As a side effect, it would also allow a way for iPhone users to "hide" the default apps they don't use by choosing not to sync them to the iPhone in iTunes. That could be handy.

9. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Apple doesnt care about jailbreaking, new FWs will be jailbroken no matter what, its unlocking they are worried about

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think that they should take the stock, notes, weather, address book, youtube, and calculator app off the phone, and have them as optional (free) app store downloads. Or just ship them on the phone, but let you delete them.

It'd also be nice to delete the clock app, but Apple would have to allow 3rd party apps to set alarms to do that.