Default apps

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ashman70, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the default apps?

What I mean is, in Lion, as it was in Snow Leopard before, if you right clicked on a file, say a photo, there was an option to 'send as attachment' or something similar and if you clicked on it, it would launch the the mail app. I don't use the mail app but I do use Microsoft Outlook, is there a way to tell Lion that my default mail app is Outlook?

2. ConnorCG macrumors member

I believe the context menu that you are talking about was a built-in service, a sort-of script made in Automator (or that comes by default) that shows up when you click on different files, folders, etc. However, you may also be talking about the Open With... menu. If you are talking about Open With..., I don't believe there is an easy way to associate a specific filetype (like an image) to have Outlook show up in that menu without making Outlook the default app to open photos, which would be a bad idea. For making Outlook your default email client: I believe Outlook should prompt you to see if it is the default client when it launches.

3. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502a

Madd the Sane

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

RCDefaultapp.

4. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

In Mail preferences, under General, choose Outlook as "Default Email Reader".

5. ashman70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. ashman70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

RCDefaultapp does not work, it still calls up the default email app.