Default browser iOS5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MaxBurn, Jun 24, 2011.

1. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

This one sort of annoys me, why are we stuck with mobile safari as the default browser and we can't change it? I was really hoping to see the ability to select the default browser in iOS5.

Microsoft got into a really bad legal battle over this and they lost so badly that they have to show you a list of other browsers when you set up a new machine now. You would think there would be some concern over the same thing happening on the mobile computing platforms too?

2. kRobbin macrumors member

kRobbin

I agree! Apple has become the biggest guy on the block. They should be held to higher standards when it comes to fostering a level playing field for software.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

really ever Windows OS ive ever had including Windows 7 tried to make Internet Explorer the default, i have to install Firefox manually

4. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

What other mobile browsers are there that don't use the same webkit? Apple has the App store to allow other browsers. They can't guarantee that they work in order to have a default browser switch.

5. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Of course they give you IE but the suit is why this screen exists. it is part of the OOBE.

[​IMG]

And on the webkit issue I'm not sure the users care, they want the capabilities other browsers give them.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

interesting ive never see that screen shot on an install, thanks

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No offense meant by this question, but are you fairly young? You don't seem to remember what he's referring to. He's talking about the mid-90's when Internet Explorer was so tightly tied into Windows that if you removed it Windows itself stopped working.

You can remove modern IE from Windows or Safari from a Mac and your computer will still work.

8. heisenberg123, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

no im 31, the way i read it was when you installed windows it asked you if you wanted Firefox, Google Chrome etc.. instead if Internet Explorer

so maybe in a sense im too young because in the mid 90's I did not know about choices when i came to web browsers, i was excited enough to be able to have the internet and access to so much p0rn lol

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Those "other browser" for iOS are nothing more than a skin over mobile safari. Apple requires you to use its web engine if you want to access the web end of story.
    Compare that to andriod where there are multiple browsers that do not use its web engine. I know for WP7 if someone wanted to use a different web engine other than IE, mobile Firefox for example, they could do it and put it in the market. You will never see that for iOS.

10. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

It has nothing to do with that. Other browsers have options like "Set Browsing Agent", "Open Page in Background" etc...

They are just as fast as Safari but have built in options. That's why it would be nice to have options for default browsers.

11. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Open page in background, coming in iOS 5

I don't see what the big deal is. Suck it up and use Safari, it's a wonderful and fast browser. I've never found another that was worth using.

12. MasterTick macrumors 6502

That's because all the 3rd party browsers are basically skins for Safari, you would know that if you actually read the thread.

And the reason why some of you haven't seen the browser select thing in Windows is becuase you aren't in Europe.

13. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Well since you never found anything else worth using, then no one will... I never get why people are so narrow minded.

And we're obviously sucking it up since we have no options. Open Page in Background is coming in iOS 5 but what about other features I listed? Nope.

If you really think that every other web browser in the App Store is a 'skin' on Safari, download Mercury Web Browser or Opera. Let me know if those don't offer any greater functionality than Safari - if they didn't, why would people use them?

14. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Does iSwifter use the same webkit? It shows flash anyway somehow.

Anyway safari is a little too stripped down for my taste, even in a mobile browser.

15. shandyman Suspended

isn't that EU only?

i know that it's shown up the PC's i've installed windows 7 too, but only once it's done the update from windows update, it wasn't part of the original install. so if you've not run the update, you don't get it popping up,

16. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I think you are right and it was added later, new machines for quite some time have had it coming up that way because they are updated at the manufacturer. But all of us geeks still using original media aren't seeing this.

17. shandyman Suspended

i know for certain it was after release. just thought it was EU versions only.

18. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

The answer to this is obvious, if not terribly unacceptable.

This phone came from AppleLand where Stevie calls the shots, like it or not :)

If you buy Apple, you must embrace one word: Acceptance.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

and that is still using Mobile Safari engine. That is not changing the fact that it is more or less running threw Safari and nothing more than a skin on top of it.

Mobile FF for example uses a complete different engine than the browser on Andriod. It would never be allowed on iOS because it does not use the engine. In theory it could be put on WP7 if the Mozilla crew would created it for it.