Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whotheheck

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
How do I change the default browser from Safari to Firefox? I can't seem to find the option anywhere and it's bugging the hell out of me!!!! :(

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
In Panther, you can change the default browser from the General pane of Safari's preferences. IIRC this setting was in System Preferences in Jaguar, but moved in Panther.

Whotheheck

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
Thanks so much!!!!! I dunno but to me, it doesn't make much sense to put it there. So if I want to go from friefox to IE I have to open up safari to do it??? :confused: weird.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Whotheheck said:
Thanks so much!!!!! I dunno but to me, it doesn't make much sense to put it there. So if I want to go from friefox to IE I have to open up safari to do it??? :confused: weird.

Yep. Very weird. Totally bass-ackwards and unlike Apple. The only logical defense of the move I've heard is that any browser can add a default browser switch to its preferences, they just haven't done so, leaving Safari as the only way to change it. But I don't know if that's true or not.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Whotheheck said:

well, it is an apple app and installs with panther so its not like you have to add anything to do it. is a bit odd though yes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.