Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
The default Column Size in Finder is moronically small.

Right-Clicking on the draggable column marker at the bottom provides for options to Re-Size Columns. Unfortunately, that has ZERO impact on the Default Column Size.

Is there a solution to permanently change Finder Column Sizes to "FIT CONTENT"?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You cannot change the default. Hold down the option key while you drag. That’s the best you can do.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
You don't need the option key. Drag and drop parallel lines at the bottom of scroll bar to desired width. Or double click on the parallel lines will fit to size.

Most third party Finder alternatives have the option to fit content.

I really wish Apple would add this to Finder as well.

Last edited:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
You don't need the option key. Drag and drop parallel lines at the bottom of scroll bar to desired width. Or double click on the parallel lines will fit to size.

I really wish Apple would add this to Finder as well.
And to Mail! It doesn't save column width changes either.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
works here, and always has. might be worth starting a thread about it, and getting that fixed...
Someone else did. (Or was that on another forum?) So I'm not the only one experiencing this in Mail.

As far as Finder, I use Icon View. But for those who use List View, I'm sure this is annoying.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Someone else did. (Or was that on another forum?) So I'm not the only one experiencing this in Mail.

As far as Finder, I use Icon View. But for those who use List View, I'm sure this is annoying.
sure, but if you've gotten no resolution, you can start your own thread. or perhaps contact apple, see if they can sort it out. good luck with it!

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
Wow, I am shocked that this is the state of FINDER. What is up with code monkeys at this point of macOS development.

This default Finder column size is what I would consider a major "Fit & Finish" detail to the tool used to navigate directories looking for files.

Sheeezzzz

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
The default Column Size in Finder is moronically small.

Right-Clicking on the draggable column marker at the bottom provides for options to Re-Size Columns. Unfortunately, that has ZERO impact on the Default Column Size.

Is there a solution to permanently change Finder Column Sizes to "FIT CONTENT"?
This is one of the (minor) reasons I use Forklift as a Finder replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.