Default external monitor setup with MBP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mgyqmb, Jan 3, 2008.

1. mgyqmb macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am currently running a 1.83ghz MBP with an ATI Radeon x1600 card. Anyhow, Boot camp runs fantastic, for the most part, but my major issue is with my external monitor.

I prefer to have my laptop lid closed, with the display off and have an external 22" Acer display as my primary screen.

When I boot into OSX, I don't have to do anything, the monitor is detected, my USB devices work wonderfully, and the computer runs without a hitch. It is within Windows XP that I encounter the real trouble.

I will boot up the machine, and Windows will automatically detect the laptop display as the primary, and automatically extend the desktop on to my 22". The only way that I can get it set up so that my laptop display is off and my external display is my primary and at the correct resolution is a pretty complicated process which I am tired of doing everytime I want to load up Windows.

I had to get ATI Tray Tools, run that, switch the external to the primary display, close tray tools, load up the display preferences, turn off "extend my desktop", then go back into tray tools and turn off the laptop display. Then I have to close tray tools, and change the resolution of my screen to 1680x1050 (the default) from 1440x900 (which is what it is set to when I boot up Win XP).

My question is this: is there any way to set up Windows XP so that it does not attempt to use my laptop's built in display, but automatically uses the external in the correct resolution? Any possible roundabout ways to do this?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I don't know; I'm having the same problem. I think this thread is also attempting to solve the same problem.