Default Fan RPM with Lion vs. ML

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chefwong, Aug 13, 2012.

1. chefwong macrumors regular

I've been troubleshooting my MBP after post ML upgrade. 16GB Corsair Memory with Crucial M4 SSD. Nary a hiccup with Lion, at least 2-3 lockups per day after ML. In looking at temps, I noticed that the *default* RPM speed of ML is 2000RPM versus the *default* RPM speed of Lion is 4000 RPM.

Anyone else notice this.

Still debugging, monitoring temps, etc to determine the root cause of the lockups.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My default fan speed has always been 2,000, whether we're talking Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion

3. chefwong thread starter macrumors regular

My older late 2010 MBP, running Lion...when I went to check and compare, the default fan speed was 4000

4. SpazzyMac macrumors regular

SpazzyMac

my default speed is definitely lower ;)
    stays at 71°C without killing my ears, so it is definitely an improvement with the heat output tolerance, only cranks it up when it's above 4000rpm for 80°C+

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

My 2011 MBP always had a default fan speed of 2000 RPM on Lion. As far as I know, that's always been the standard.

6. chefwong thread starter macrumors regular

Genius Bar tomorrow.

I give up. 2nd lockup of the day.

Not sure if motion sensor has any play in this, but sometimes, if I just simply flip the lid down and put it down on a desk or something, the minute I put it down...it's goes into lockup. You know it's happened as it makes the system lockup *error noise*...

7. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Have you tried restoring the OS? That's all they will do for you. My rMBP was crashing and doing weird things last week, I restored to my time machine and now everything is working perfectly.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

9. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

If just setting the computer down causes problems, have you checked to make sure the RAM is seated properly? Maybe one of the chips is loose. Just a thought.

10. chefwong thread starter macrumors regular

Mem is nice and snug.
    Rerunning Prime 95 again just to rule out mem