Default Icons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LukeAskew, Jun 3, 2007.

1. LukeAskew macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm working on a custom theme for my MP3 player (Cowon A2), and I wanted to do a "OS X" theme.

I have been trying to track down a download of the default icon set for OS X, but I have had no luck.

I was wondering if anyone knows of where I can find the icon set; either a download or locally on my Mac.

Thanks for your help!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

All the icons your Mac uses are stored in ICNS files on your Mac. Most of them are located inside the application bundles, in the Resources folder. Getting inside a bundle is easy enough: Just right-click and choose show package contents. Converting ICNS files is also easy - Preview can do this. In fact, you can use Automator to automate the task, once you have copies of the ICNS files in a folder somewhere.

3. LukeAskew thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but I'm still having trouble finding the Finder icon and the icons for items in the System Preferences.

Any ideas?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

These aren't too hard to find either, if you know where to look. In this case, the Finder is located in Macintosh HD:System:Library:CoreServices:Finder and all the System Preferences are in Macintosh HD:System:Library:preferencePanes.

5. LukeAskew thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow...thankyou very much, the Finder thing really helped me out a lot.

I'm still having trouble finding the icons for the System Preferences though...

I want the icons that appear in the system preferences, not the prefpane icons.

Here's a screenshot; am I doing something wrong?

[​IMG]

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That took some searching, but I finally found the icons you're looking for. In the preference panes folder I mentioned earlier, do a Get Info on each preference pane. The icon that appears in the Get Info window is the icon that's used in System Preferences.