testuser3130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
Falls Church, VA
I have this problem since Sierra, but it's annoying lately. I removed Photos, News, Siri etc. apps from the dock. But When I restart my mac they keep coming back. What should I do? any suggestion to fix this?

DeltaMac

macrumors G4
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Does your dock restore to defaults when you restart?
What I am asking is: Do icons for any NON-macOS apps that you add to the dock, then disappear from the dock after a restart?

Comment

J.Gallardo

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2017
Spain
Could it be iCloud sync? Desktop, Documents... even System Preferences are iCloud tied by default...

Comment

DeltaMac

macrumors G4
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Same question, re-phrased:
If you change the Dock (add another non-Mac icon), does the Dock revert to original defaults after a restart (and icons that you have added are gone from the dock?)

Last edited:
Comment

iStorm

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
Nope. That's not my issue
Right, I know that article isn't about your issue. I probably should have explained it. If your defaults are coming back after restart, maybe something is corrupted with your dock settings file. So I was curious if deleting the settings would regenerate a correct one where you could remove the icons and have the change persist. Not sure if you tried that or not anyway. DeltaMac has a great question too. Do 3rd party apps stay in the dock after restart, or are they removed?

Comment

testuser3130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
Falls Church, VA
It is Recent Apps. Turn it off from System Preferences > Dock.

It's not recent apps. I turned it off already
[doublepost=1538233307][/doublepost]
Just to a clean install dude

What are you talking about, this is new MacBook
[doublepost=1538233353][/doublepost]
Right, I know that article isn't about your issue. I probably should have explained it. If your defaults are coming back after restart, maybe something is corrupted with your dock settings file. So I was curious if deleting the settings would regenerate a correct one where you could remove the icons and have the change persist. Not sure if you tried that or not anyway. DeltaMac has a great question too. Do 3rd party apps stay in the dock after restart, or are they removed?

This is something happened with work mac too. I have this complaint for long time.
[doublepost=1538233384][/doublepost]
Could it be iCloud sync? Desktop, Documents... even System Preferences are iCloud tied by default...

I don't think so

Comment

DeltaMac

macrumors G4
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Same question (from post #7 above) -
If you add (non-Apple/third party app) icons to your dock, do those new icons also disappear from your dock after you restart?
Another way to ask this: Does your dock return to original defaults every time you restart?

Comment

testuser3130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
Falls Church, VA
Same question (from post #7 above) -
If you add (non-Apple/third party app) icons to your dock, do those new icons also disappear from your dock after you restart?
Another way to ask this: Does your dock return to original defaults every time you restart?

1. 3rd party icons stay in dock even after the restart as expected.
2. No, initially I had 5-7 default icons and deleted those. Every time I restart photos, news, Siri icons come back

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.