Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have 3 monitors set up with my 5870. One of them is the 30" monitor and it's connected to the 5870 on the DVI port. The other two monitors are 20" monitors, each of them are connected to the 5870 with DVI cables and then an active miniDP-to-DVI adapter. The 20" monitors are rotated to flank the 30" (in a 20-30-20 configuration).

The issue I have is during every boot, the default monitor is the monitor that's connected to the outermost miniDP port which in my case is one of the flanking 20" monitors (the right side one in my case). This means the everything is not rotated at boot time and the login window is also shown on that display. After every reboot, the menu bar gets moved to that monitor which is annoying since I have to move things back and rearrange my monitors every time. I also have re-set the rotation on the flanking monitors.

Is there a fix for this for boot time? The worst part is the boot screen does not support portrait view, so everything is scaled down and things are very small during boot.

Basically I want to default the boot time monitor to my 30".

Thanks.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
I've got the same monitor setup than you and my bootscreen is the right screen, too. However, my graphics cards are a GT120 and a 4870.
Once the system is past the grey screen, the system recognises the displays, though. Strange that your system seems to forget its graphics settings. :confused:

One question, how does the 5870 perform with this setup? Do you experience any lags on the rotated screens when moving windows or so?
What OS version are you using?

I'm asking because this setup does not work on 10.6.4 and .5 with my current graphics card setup.

Major Reeves

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
EUSSR
I have 3 monitors set up with my 5870. One of them is the 30" monitor and it's connected to the 5870 on the DVI port. The other two monitors are 20" monitors, each of them are connected to the 5870 with DVI cables and then an active miniDP-to-DVI adapter. The 20" monitors are rotated to flank the 30" (in a 20-30-20 configuration).

The issue I have is during every boot, the default monitor is the monitor that's connected to the outermost miniDP port which in my case is one of the flanking 20" monitors (the right side one in my case). This means the everything is not rotated at boot time and the login window is also shown on that display. After every reboot, the menu bar gets moved to that monitor which is annoying since I have to move things back and rearrange my monitors every time. I also have re-set the rotation on the flanking monitors.

Is there a fix for this for boot time? The worst part is the boot screen does not support portrait view, so everything is scaled down and things are very small during boot.

Basically I want to default the boot time monitor to my 30".

Thanks.

Outer MDP = 1st display
Middle MDP = 2nd display
DVI = 3rd display

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I've got the same monitor setup than you and my bootscreen is the right screen, too. However, my graphics cards are a GT120 and a 4870.
Once the system is past the grey screen, the system recognises the displays, though. Strange that your system seems to forget its graphics settings. :confused:

One question, how does the 5870 perform with this setup? Do you experience any lags on the rotated screens when moving windows or so?
What OS version are you using?

I'm asking because this setup does not work on 10.6.4 and .5 with my current graphics card setup.

That's interesting. Never had the display recognition issue with my GTX 285 and the GT 120 combination. I hope it's not an ATI thing.

As with lags, yes it used to lag (with my old dual GPU setup) when moving windows around especially when trying to play videos across multiple displays. With the 5870, it's smooth as butter. I can now stretch a widescreen movie across all three displays and it plays without lag or stutter.

Anyways, my settings issue seem to have been resolved with the revised 10.6.5 update (for OS X Server). Still have the detection issue, but I guess that's normal.

Outer MDP = 1st display
Middle MDP = 2nd display
DVI = 3rd display

That sounds easy, but then I'd have to get more adapters.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
As with lags, yes it used to lag (with my old dual GPU setup) when moving windows around especially when trying to play videos across multiple displays. With the 5870, it's smooth as butter. I can now stretch a widescreen movie across all three displays and it plays without lag or stutter.

Thank you very much, that helps a lot. Do you reckon that the 5870 is necessary for this setup, or does the 5770 suffice as well? I don't do any graphics related work, I just want a smooth desktop. ;)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Thank you very much, that helps a lot. Do you reckon that the 5870 is necessary for this setup, or does the 5770 suffice as well? I don't do any graphics related work, I just want a smooth desktop. ;)

Assumption: the reason for the smoother desktop is because all the monitors are on one video card, so if that's the case, the 5770 should be sufficient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.